+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how to remove carpet glue from wood stove

We had a couple guys in yesterday too install our new carpet. Their carpet glue must have been cold so they placed the PLASTIC BOTTLE on our hot, still burning, wood stove to warm it up. Needless to say the bottle melted and leaked all over. There is dried, hardened carpet glue on top of and down the front of my wood stove. Any ideas how to remove the glue without removing the paint?
    I would like to avoid removing the paint and then having to completely repaint the entire stove.
    Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Default Re: how to remove carpet glue from wood stove

What is the surface of the stove? Porcelain? Painted metal? Gloss paint? Flat?

You had a couple of morons. Call them and tell them to bring glue remover with them. And oh yes, some common sense too.

The longer you wait, the harder the glue will be to remove, and there is always the risk of damage to the finish.

I have zero tolerance for unskilled, brainless workers who damage other things around the house while trying to finish their job.

The wood stove is a painted metal.. I assume iron.
    Yes, we are pretty unhappy about this and the installer said they are going to contact the manufacturer of the glue to see what they recommend to remove it. Unfortunately the stove is the way we heat the house and it has been off for 2 days. I am looking for a way to get stove started back up without wait for these folks to figure something out.
    Also- as I mentioned above, the stove was burning when the bottle melted. the glue burned onto the metal and has since hardened. I am pretty sure the paint is coming off one way or another.

Can I dope-slap them ??

I sincerely hope that you've withheld payment until the glue issue is resolved, otherwise you're pretty much screwed about having the morons do anything about it.

Aside from needless name calling of the inept installers, the label on the can of glue should clearly state how to clean up both wet and dry glue, usually mineral spirits, but don't quote me on that, read the label for yourself.

On a cold stove, you can work with mineral spirits without worry of ignition. Once you've got the majority of the glue off, you can wash the stove down with soap and water to remove the remnants of the mineral spirits. After that, fire up the stove to dry it out and you won't have any rust issues on bare metal parts. Mineral spirits will not harm painted or enamel finishes that are resistant to heat.

In lieu of finding a suitable alternative, the carpet morons owe you a new stove. Again, I sincerely hope they have not been paid or you will be dealing with this completely on your own.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thanks for the advice. Last night we tried some Goo Gone and a few web site recommended vinegar so we tried that too. We were able to get some of the softer glue off, but the part that burned is going to be there forever! We will try the mineral spirits today, though I doubt anything other than a wire brush is going to remove the burned glue.
    Unfortunately we went through HD to get the carpet so we have paid for it already. We have informed HD of the problem and the flooring manager did not seem pleased with our compliant. He made it sound like we were not the first people with an issue associated with the installer.
    If the burned glue cannot be removed, we would push for a new stove, or at the very least they could pay for someone to strip the entire fireplace and repaint it. I'll let you know what happens.

"Unfortunately we went through HD to get the carpet so we have paid for it already. We have informed HD of the problem and the flooring manager did not seem pleased with our compliant. He made it sound like we were not the first people with an issue associated with the installer."

It is fortunate that you went through Home Depot. We had a installation service contract with them a few tears back. They would bend over backwards to satisfy the customer. Once had to replace an entire room of baseboards when our guys moved a fridge and stove for an elderly couple and sc****d about 6" of molding. The appliances had nothing to do with our product.

Do not deal with the flooring manager, he is most likely the person to hire the dim wits. Deal directly with the store manager, most likely he has never heard about this incidence. Take plenty of pic, document dates, who, what, when, where, why.
    Don't go back to the flooring mgr. See the store manager today.
    There should be a manager for installation services in the store whom you might want to talk to first, but he or she is only going to see the store manager next.
    Each region of HD's have a manager specifically responsible for installation services, if the store manager drags his or her heals do some investigating and get to that person.

HD takes installation services very seriously. It is a big part of their business.

"HD takes installation services very seriously. It is a big part of their business".

This is good to know, because I've read someplace that HD had a tremendous amount of pending lawsuits regarding installations. Maybe they cleaned up their act and gave their laziest subs the pink slip.

But generally, I don't think you will ever get a new stove, even if you go to small claims. Any judge will tell you that the court is willing to make sure that you're compensated, but not better off than you were in the first place.

By getting the store or regional manager involved will get the lousy installers off HD's list of subs.

Here's an update:

We talked to the store manager at HD and they have started to lean on the installer to make it right. HD as also filed a claim for us. We need to follow up on the claim to really make sure what is going on with that. It was mentioned that we need to keep track of how much heating oil we burn while the stove is being fixed. Sounds like we may be compensated for the oil we burn.

The installers sent an guy, armed with acetone and paint thinner, to our home to fix the woodstove. He said that he was told there were " only a few drops of glue on the fireplace". He looked at it and said there is no way he can fix it there is too much charred glue stuck to it. He needs to pull the insert and sand down the entire thing so he can repaint it. This is turning into a gigantic headache!