+ Reply to Thread

Smile Sealing Wood Floors

My husband and I have rental property in Texas. This home was built in the 1900's and has a lot of historical value. But since this is rental property, and it is also peir and beam, we have been approached by a maybe renter to let him sand the wood floors and take out all carpet before he moves in. My husband thought that it would be a great idea but wanted to know if he would be using polyurethane to seal the floors. He does not want to stain the floors but have the original color of the wood shown since it is eiter pine or cedar tongue and groove. The renter said that he would use a water based polyurethane instead of the oil based because the water based holds up better than the oil and will not show the scratches from pets, furniture moving or just everyday traffic. What is the best to use, the oil based or the water based? HELP.

Default Re: Sealing Wood Floors

I also own rental property on pier and beam in Texas. My vote is for carpeting or tile. Tile is the first choice as it lasts forever. Carpeting protects the original hardwoods. If you never plan on selling, then let the renter do as he wants. My vote; tell him no. Some day you'll want to sell this house and will want the option of having the hardwoods back. In the event he, or someone else stains / ruins the hardwoods, then you're SOL and will never recover the cost of the hardwoods.

Rents in Texas (Houston in particular) are at an all time high and going up for the next decade. Good renters are available who like carpeting.