+ Reply to Thread

Default Blocking for basement walls parallel to joists

I'm currently prepping the basement before framing the walls and had a question in regards to installing blocking where the walls will sit parallel to the floor joists...

Does the blocking need to be the same size as the 2X10 joists or can I use perhaps 2X4, 2X6, or 2X8? The blocking pieces will be attached to the nearest joist and to the header around the perimeter of the basement and will sit on the foundation wall

The reason I ask is that the joists that the blocking will attach to have bowed/warped slightly and it is somewhat difficult to force the 2X10 blocks into place. I thought using 2X4, 2X6, or 2X8 pieces might be easier to manuever into place than 2X10

Default Re: Blocking for basement walls parallel to joists

If I understand you correctly, you can use 2x4's set perpendicular to the floor joists and the top plate of the wall you are installing. Since the new wall isn't load bearing, these 2x4's are there to hold the wall still and the drywall in the air.

Just put enough of those blocks to hold the wall firmly in its place. The number of blocks depends on how long the wall is.

We normally install the blocking at 16" on center to hold the drywall on the ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    If I understand you correctly, you can use 2x4's set perpendicular to the floor joists and the top plate of the wall you are installing. Since the new wall isn't load bearing, these 2x4's are there to hold the wall still and the drywall in the air.
    Perpendicular to the joists and laid flat. As Houston said, they're only there to stabilize the wall and hold drywall. Speaking of drywall and blocking spacing, make sure the layout is correct for hanging the drywall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the replies everyone - I'll go with the 2X4 blocking

I'm leaning towards a drop ceiling instead of drywall, so the blocks will be primarily to stabilize the new wall. Do these blocks still need to be spaced 16" OC or can they be moved out to 24" OC?

24 will work for that