+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tiles in basement ceiling safe?

These tiles are in the ceiling on part of a basement. It is impossible to say when they were installed, and to me, they appear to be a more modern, cellulose tile? They are intact, painted, and this picture is the only place where they have been disturbed, presumably to access something, or when someone decided to look. The home is an estate sale, and there is no disclosure from the family. Any clues? I know the best answer is to have them tested, but I thought perhaps a visual could serve as a clue...

HOW DO I UPLOAD A PICTURE? IT KEEPS TELLING ME THAT MY .JPG PIC IS NOT A VALID IMAGE FILE. IT IS SMALLER THAN THE MAXIMUM ALLOWED.

This thread is useless with no picture. Just can't load it...

Default Re: Tiles in basement ceiling safe?

Testing is the only real way.

Yeah, heck with the photo. The cross section is orangish, brownish color fibrous.....no gray......so when I test, how do I safely remove a sample?

The kit should have instructions.

As long as you don't make dust sized particles you'll be ok.

A respirator will be helpful but I think you can hold your breath long enough.

Found some local sources that inspect, perhaps it is best to use them, and they may be able to analyze samples too. Is this valid, or should I use a large national company that requires a sample to be sent?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The kit should have instructions.

As long as you don't make dust sized particles you'll be ok.

A respirator will be helpful but I think you can hold your breath long enough.
    Are you joking??? :

really not reccommended! Even I know that... anyway, thanks! I think I'll call the professionals!

J

No I'm not joking. Asbestos is only hazardous as a dust particle. And then it would have to be breathed in.

Quote Originally Posted by cocteau3 View Post
    Are you joking??? :

really not reccommended! Even I know that... anyway, thanks! I think I'll call the professionals!

J
    Allow me to interrupt, but Houstonremodeler gave you an accurate answer. And even if you knew that, why did you find a need to ask?

My advice: call local pros, don't get tested by mail.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Allow me to interrupt, but Houstonremodeler gave you an accurate answer. And even if you knew that, why did you find a need to ask?

My advice: call local pros, don't get tested by mail.
    Yeah, I got it. People ask because we want to make sure. That's obvious on a forum isn't it?

How old is the house? I think that if you're unsure it's best to get a certified EPA professional in. If it's in good condition it wont need to be removed, these kind of things are only dangerous if they're disturbed and they can be sealed.