+ Reply to Thread

Default pellet stove options

Looking into possibly purchasing a pellet stove when they go on sale for next winter and I am trying to figure out where my best layout would be. My house is a 1 1/2 story house and my living room and dining room are open to each other. I know I can run a vent up the west side of my house to above the roof, but I know there is a chimney in the inside wall between the living room and the kitchen that has nothing vented through it. Previously it had furnace vent running through it, but that is vented out the side wall. What is the possibility of venting it through the chimney to the roof? What would be needed? and How could I clean out the pipes that would line the inside of the chimney? Any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: pellet stove options

I am far from being an expert on stove insulation, but we do have a pellet stove installed in our open plan LR/DR. It is direct vented outside, no need to run the pipe up above the roof, just need to have it be a couple of feet away from doors and windows that open.

If you vent it out your chimney, you might have trouble keeping it clear - I clean out our vent pipe a couple of times a season, and have it serviced professionally once a year.

Hope this helps.

PS think about aiming at the biggest part of your space, as it will throw the heat quite far, and you want it to heat the whole space, presumably.

Default Re: pellet stove options

Would I need to be worried about soot build up with it vented next to the siding? Also that is the side of the house that gets the most wind from the fields next to my house, so I don't know if that would effect anything or not.