+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another swaying deck

About 8 yrs. old, ledger board is only nailed to house but not pulling away. 2x8 joists on 10.5 in. centers on 4x8 beams resting on 4x4 posts. The railings were also shaky, posts were 3 2x nailed together. Deck boards were glued and finish nailed to the joists so they were coming loose. Will try to reuse the mahogany. As you can see the joists were only toe-nailed to the beams on the long runs so they flex a lot. Was going to install blocking and double up the perimeter and also lag screw the ledger board. Any other suggestions?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Another swaying deck

There are some deficiencies visible in your photos, that contribute to the swaying. The deck is not very old and the wood looks pretty decent.

Repairing the deck in the present condition will not bring you the expected results, since most of the things required to make it a solid deck must be integrated into the deck.

I'd take it apart and rebuild it again, this time have it built correctly, with bolts, deck screws, Simpson connectors, braces and cross bars - all of which go in while you build the deck.

This job requires experience in framing.

You can find handy guide books on how to frame a deck, with illustrations, which will help you avoiding mistakes as the ones seen in the photos.

Some of the mistakes: missing connectors, missing bolts, not using deck screws, using glue and finished nails, missing braces and cross bars, joists must overlap much longer than shown, and others.

Thanks for the reply.
    I would have to agree with you about rebuilding it now that I have looked at it more. The other way seems like just a patchwork job. They even nailed into the metal flashing when they attached the deck board by the house and the steps never had a handrail.
    I have seen joists in both directions, it would seem that ones attached to the ledger board are more secure unlike mine.

It looks to me that the biggest issue is that the beams are not secure to the ledger board. Those joist hangers as they are being used will allow the beams to pull away from the ledger board and that is why I think you have a sway problem.

To secure the ledger board, I recommend these

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UOM80t2dzjQ

I think the next thing to do is to secure the beams to the ledger board. I would recommend rafter collar ties but it looks like those hangers will get in the way.

I think the best way to accomplish this would be to use a single 2x8 block between the ledger board and the first joist. Use joist hangers for this, but instead of using nails on the joist hangers, use coated screws made for pressure treated lumber, 3" or 3.5" for the toe nail screws and 1.25" for the screws that go into the ledger and into the first joist.

Because the joist is only toe nailed to the beam, the block will also have to be secured to the beam. This can be done with at least 4 - 3" screws toe nailed in to the sides of the block to the beam. Another way to secure this would be to put the block aligned with one side of the beam, and then make a gusset from 3/4" pressure treated plywood to tie the block to the beam using 1.75 to 2" long coated deck screws.

BTW, you will want to use star drive, polymer coated, self starting deck screws like these.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_323974-1278-...ews&facetInfo=

Do this at every beam to ledger connection and I think your sway will go away.

To make this even sturdier, you could add 45 supports between the posts and the beams, they can be made from 2x4 or 2x6, and you could also use them between the perimeter posts and the rim joist. It might be best to use these only on the perimeter posts to the beams and rim joist, that will be three per post except the corners which will only have two. I don't think these will be needed but if the deck doesn't feel quite as secure as you like, try doing the corner posts first and see if that is enough.

I don't think Mahogany glues well. I think you are going to have to screw it down. There are blind fasteners made for it if you want that look.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...N#.UONG3t2dzjQ

You will need a slot cutter for these.

http://www.homedepot.com/Lumber-Comp...1#.UONGVt2dzjQ

one thing that jumps out at me is the splice of the joists over the beam, the lap should be longer to create a stronger joint also the post brackets look a bit high out of the concrete
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks again for all the replies. The sway combined with the loose railing and loosening deck boards caused me to investigate what was happening. The deck is much larger and I was going to size it down some about 1/3 on the other end. I will consider all suggestions.

I agree I would use the blind fastener system and have to add grooves to my boards since they do not have any.

adding grooves to your old decking is a ton of work.. you'd need a slot cutting bit and a router table
    fire up the saw and make some dust

actually I think you can cut the slots just where you need them with a biscuit cutter.

That is what Tom did in one of the videos he just cut them right at the joist. I have watched this series since the first one and have learned so much from them.