+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting 2 panel doors

A few months ago we finished replacing most of our interior doors with prehung 2 panel doors that have a smooth texture. See photo. We got them from a box store so they are primed. We've painted the frame and casing with latex/acrylic and now are ready for the doors.

Since they are smooth we want to minmize brush stokes.

I've read a number of posts that suggest rolling it on then following with a brush. Is this best done with the door hanging or should it be laid flat?

Also, the temp is about 70-73 degress in the house. Should I warm it up or leave it so the strokes will have time to settle out?

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Painting 2 panel doors

I've tried to attach a .jpg, jpeg, and .bmp file of the door but the uploader keeps saying not a valid image file. ??

Hope the pdf works ok.

BBQ,

The best finish is to be had with the use of an airless sprayer. However, if this is not possible, decent results can be had with a brush and roller.

The important thing to remember when brushing acrylic/latex paints is to not over brush them. Unlike oil paints, acrylic paints have only a couple minutes of working time before they start to set up. If you continue to brush them, you will end up with brush marks which will never go away. Acrylic paints will level themselves if you don't mess with them too long.

I like to use the small foam trim rollers (4 or 6 inches) to facilitate getting a nice even coat onto the surface rapidly. The brush is then used to get into the corners of the panels and then lay down the "dipple" texture that the roller leaves.

Do not use a dry brush. The brush must be filled with paint as if you were painting the door solely with the it. Dampen the bristles before loading them up with paint. The bristles should be immersed about 3/4ths of their length with paint.

Don't use a cheap brush. You can't go wrong with brushes by such companies as Purdy or Wooster. Those chinese imports just don't cut it!

In the process of getting the paint into the corners, you will get a little paint onto the rails and stils of the door face. DO NOT let these set up on you. Wipe the excess paint away immediately or risk permanent brush marks there.

When painting panel doors with a brush, all panels are done first, and then the rails and stils last. Again, this is predicated by time. You simply cannot work fast enough to bring the entire door down at one time. Finally, roll the rails and stils of the door. The beauty of a foam trim roller is that you can roll right up to the edge of the panel without getting a bead of paint rolling into the panel. Brush the paint out according to the door construction - horizontal strokes on horizontal pieces and verticle on verticle.

Do take the time to remove any hardware. This allows you to get a nice continuous stroke over where the lock sets are located.

Many paints like to thin the paint a little with Floetrol. This is a paint additive which imparts better leveling to the paint by lengthening the dry time somewhat.

Hope this advice is of help.

An airless sprayer is my first choice.

A fine nap roller would be my second choice.

A $20-25 paint brush #3

Thanks for the advice/ideas. Is there a better result whether it's hanging or vertical.

Also, do I need to sand between coats?

laid flat assures there will be no runs

sanding between coats is always nice if the paint requires it

Smile Re: Painting 2 panel doors

BBQ,

Sanding is usually done after the primer coat. The primer will often raise the grain of the wood somewhat, even as it seals the porous wood. A light sanding of the primer will make it smooth. The primer will dust up and that dust should be removed before painting. Unless contamination of the paint coat occurs, generally no further sanding is neccessary between coats.

I am a great believer in reading label instructions and abiding by them. As the saying goes, "if all else fails, read the directions!"