+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: New cordless system: Milwaukee, Makita, or DeWalt?

makita is the hands down winner.. ive owned every pro brand of cordless tool and makita has been the most reliable both for the tool but battery life as well.

milwaukee`s have plenty of power but the clutch on their drills die within 6 months of light use. their batteries are well documented for being hit or miss

dewalt brags that they make a superior drill but when they run them side by side with other makes they take a lower end model from a competitor not one in the same class. and their batteries are well documented for being unreliable.. both them and milwaukee have changed their lith ion battery tech more than 5 times in 8 years.. makita has only had to make one upgrade.

bosch makes decent gear but their compact line of drills doesnt put out the same torque as what their spec`d for.

regarding jigsaws.. dewalt makes terrible jigsaws period. unbalanced, sloppy cuts etc.. if your going to get a jigsaw go bosch or makita corded or cordless
    fire up the saw and make some dust

i have milwaukee m18stuff and love it. i have broken the impact driver and filled out the form onling shipped it back free of charge. had it back completly rebuilt in a week. i use them every day and have had them almost 4 years now and only had the one problem with the impact driver. i also love the cordless sawzall no it doent have the power of a corded model but it is pretty good for quick jobs. as far as jigsaws go i will never buy anything but bosch corded ones

I have a question for those who use a cordless saw: how many cuts can you get out of one charge and how good are the cuts?

if your talking about a circ saw it depends on what your cutting of course, be it 2x or sheet goods.. it also depends on the make of the saw. some are better at power management.

the key thing is to have a sharp blade on it and go slowly because the saw doesnt turn the blade as fast. we use cordless circ saws all the time for siding when were up on staging

Default Re: Cordless batteries

It started somewhere around 7.2V. Then we saw 9.6V batteries advertised. From there we saw 12V, 14.4V, 18V, 20V,now 24V... how long until we are envying the manliness of 120V cordless tool batteries? That will be really cool... until you drop the battery into your nailbags and short out the contacts. Exploding nailbag anyone?

My point is that while higher voltage is touted as more powerful, that's not necessarily the case. Just like in 12V (OK, it's really 14.4V) automotive batteries, the ability of the battery to maintain a particular voltage at varying loads is going to make more difference than simply the voltage of the battery. Of course, manufacturers don't tell you THAT figure. On the other hand, a higher-voltage battery is usually able to pack more ampere-hours of energy into a smaller package, and deliver that energy at a higher current.

OK, I'll get off my environmentally-friendly, high-efficiency, phosphate-free detergent box now.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

A 120VDC tool would be awesome, but I don't think we will see that. The reason is that 60 VDC is considered the upper limit for human safety. Usually voltage below 60 volts will not penetrate the skin. You could get a burn on your skin from it, but no internal damage. To go above 48 volts (safety margin and all that) the batteries will need shielded contacts and other safety features. To me it seems to be quite doable, but there is a lot of resistance to going over 48 volts in batteries for some reason.

I do think that we will eventually get to 48 volt cordless tools, sometime after the manufacturers soak us for 24 volt tools, then 36 volt tools, followed by 42 volt tools. I think that is their business plan. After they soak us for the 48 volt lithium ion technology, they will come up with the carbon nanotube capacitor to replace the battery. That technology is mostly theory right now but it really holds promise.

Just thought I would contribute my personal experience. I currently use cordless tools from all three of these brands on a daily basis.

Makita: This brand has been the professional standard up here in my area for the past 5 years or so at least. While I have both and impact and hammerdrill they are both a couple years old now and rarely make it out of the trailer on most days. This is not due to the tools themselves but the battery technology is getting a bit dated. All other manufacturers have updated battery technology in the past year and are about to again with 2 and 4 amp battery packs. These guys are lagging behind. I have bought corded tools but no cordless from them for the last year for me.

Milwaukee: This brand has been my bread and butter for the last year and half. The M18 packs are great and i can't use a brand that doesn't have some kind of charge gauge on their batteries now. I use the impact, hammerdrill, sawsall, and circular saw, all cordless and all very impressive. The impact sees the most use, and it has survived drops from the rafters onto both subfloors and slabs and went right back to work with ease. I have driven 4 in RSS lags into LVL beams all day with it no problem.

Dewalt: Personally i hadn't touched dewalt cordless in years. Talk about being behind in tech. But with the new 20v system (and yeah i realize they are really only 18V) the company has made a huge leap forward. For the last few months i have been using their cordless and i must say i am a convert. My only complaint is the size of the lineup. It is a new battery line and they need to hurry up and release more tools. The battery life is great even on the circular saw. And they put a fuel gauge on the newer batteries.

As to the comment above about who has used the cordless saw and how much will it cut on a charge. I use both the milwaukee and the new dewalt heavily. With 2 3amp batteries in either system you would never run one dead before the other is charged, and that can be cutting joists or ripping sheathing. Have even used them to cut LVL stock. Plus both brands are upping their battery capacity to 4amp in the coming months.

I've always been pleased with Makita cordless equipment. What I don't like is the frequency with which all cordless manufacturers replace their battery and charger types, which means that I can't easily mix and match batteries and chargers from different generations of cordless tools that I have. Progress I suppose, or another scam to sell you different tools...

Quote Originally Posted by rstl9999 View Post
    I've always been pleased with Makita cordless equipment. What I don't like is the frequency with which all cordless manufacturers replace their battery and charger types, which means that I can't easily mix and match batteries and chargers from different generations of cordless tools that I have. Progress I suppose, or another scam to sell you different tools...
    You got it right - manufacturers think about their present and their future, and that's how they preserve sales, now and later.

hence buying makita is your best bet.. rigid and milwaukee change their batteries every 6 months it seems.. dewalt is much better