+ Reply to Thread

Default appropriate period flooring?

Planning to put in new hardwood flooring in Arts/Crafts/Bungalow home built around 1910. Original flooring (and sadly the pocket doors too) were lost to the Agnes flood in '72 and previous owners put down plywood sheets and nasty carpet. Wondering what type of wood would have been used in Central Pennsylvania in that turn of the century period. Have been told that staircase is chestnut if that's a useful clue.

Default Re: appropriate period flooring?

That's a tough question - there are a lot of possible answers.

Is there any chance you could ask some of your neighbors if you can take a walk through their house. If they have a similar style house, they may have some of the original flooring
    Steve Rogers

Remodeling University
    The Best Remodeling Education Available
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Good suggestion, however, next door was converted into 2 apartments, the next duplex set was remodeled on one side and is currently for sale and the other side is gutted. The next duplex set down has also been remodeled for apartments...hence, no neighbors with original anything.

Good suggestion to ask nearby. Cruise the area and try and find a similar model and era.

I can suggest that when they replaced the damaged flooring they cut out the old floor to the base of the stud wall(s). They would not have gone to the trouble I am hoping, to dig out the hardwood below the exterior as well as interior walls. Some architectural CSI will be required here. The other thing you may be able to look at is from below the main level of there is a basement. There is hopefully remnants of the old floor below those exterior and partition walls. Getting all the flooring out from beneath the partition walls would have been a big task. If faced with that problem I most likely would have replaced the 4" of flooring beneath the load bearing walls only.

I love Arts and Crafts style, many in Western NY where I have family, I remember thinking what a shame when my uncle sided his beauty with vinyl and covering all the exposed features with vinyl soffits and facia.

Good luck, let us know how the CSI investigation goes.
    Last edited by SouthernCanuck; 01-06-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: speling mistacks