+ Reply to Thread

Default Automatic shut off lights?

Hi. Quick question. I am not very familiar with electrical products. I am looking for something to shut my basement lights off after a certain amount of time. The problem is people leaving it on. I know ideally, the answer would be to teach people to shut lights of. I have tried. Just does not work.
    The light is in my basement. There is a switch at the top and at the bottom of the stairs, so I will need something that will work with that type of switching circuit. Also, there are cats that live in the finished basement, so I wonder if motion sensing switches are a bad idea.
    Any suggestions?

Default Re: Automatic shut off lights?

There are timer and motion sensor switches that could be used in this situation, not sure if there are 3-way systems for dual switch applications, but probably.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

We often use timer switches for bathroom exhaust fans. There are quite a few. Avoid the ones with a dial you turn. The better ones have 60, 30, 20, 10 , 5 minute intervals and learn your favorites. Go to the Lutron website or your local Home burrito. The motion detector switch can go at the top of the stairs. That switch can have a default to shut off after a set interval.

Based on the first post they would need a 3 way switch/timer to replace the existing one. I have not seen that in timers.

They make them in 3 way

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    They make them in 3 way
    True but I've only run across the ones that allow the motion sensor in one location. As stated, the top of the stairs would probably work best.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

The Intermatic EI400 series Digital Auto-Shutoff Timer can replace one of the 3-way switches. It can be operated by the other 3-way switch. It's a timer, not a motion sensor.

You can configure it so that when the light is turned on from either location, it will turn off after a specified period of time. You can also shut it off at any time.

For those times when you want the light to be on longer, you can temporarily pause the countdown to shutoff, lengthen it, or shorten it. When you turn the light off, it reverts to the standard program.

Since it's battery-powered, it's compatible with all types of lighting without requiring a neutral wire for operation. (It even works with low-voltage circuits.)
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.