+ Reply to Thread

Default Transom window removal

Hi,

I live in a 1925 rowhouse in DC, and am trying to restore my transom windows to working condition. I have unstuck them, and now need to remove them to clean them up and clean up the frame. The transoms pivot on a horizontal axis. The pins protrude about one inch on each side (they are sort of decorative). I've tried everything--pulling both pins toward each other, pushing the pins in toward the frame, pulling the window in an up/outward direction, twisting them the pins, and nothing works. I did eventually remove both pins (upon the advice that if you keep pulling inward, they will come out), but I think they broke (both in the same place), and thus the window is still in place, and can still pivot, but cannot be removed. However, I am not sure whether there is some sort of little pipe the pins go into on the inside of the window and frame--it's hard to tell, but when I try to look in the hole that the pins used to be in, it almost looks like there is some sort of metal tube with what looks like threading on the inside (for screws).

I'm new to the forum, so I can't attach images or link to pictures. Any advice on how to get these transoms out without damaging them would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Transom window removal

The pins can have a metal cover plate that has been painted over a few dozen times. Can you find that?

Hi, no I have not seen any cover plates. They're just little pins, maybe 1/4" in diameter, with about 1" exposed right next to the window.

Here is a link to someone else's photo, but it looks exactly like mine--since I can't post links yet, just add the typical website beginning address to this (or actually, I think you can even copy and paste this into a browser and it will work):

flickr.com/photos/whiteknuckled/5480518537/in/set-72157629444468684/

Actually, now that I know the link works, I've uploaded a couple of photos of my transom:

flickr.com/photos/91647322@N02/sets/72157632372328401/detail/

You can see what the transoms look like before unsticking and unpinning. The other picture is of the transom with one of the pins removed--I held the pin next to the window so it is apparent how short it is. I think it may have broken off due to the short length, but also because the end of the pin that used to be in the window is slightly uneven--no smooth end.

Not sure what your problem is. On mine, you just tilt the transom slightly, pull the pins out and the transom is released. You might try tilting the transom to horizontal and see if you can work the pin out of the frame with a knife. Chances are the pin into to frame is frozen and the part that came out was pressed into an inner part.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 12-29-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I thought that transom windows either hinged at the top or the bottom and what you have are just pins to release the window from the closed position.

But to what you seem to want to accomplish, first I would try a cabinet tipped screwdriver (flat head 3/16"), stick it into the hole and turn it to see if you can catch a slot to unscrew. If that doesn't work, then try a long bolt that matched the thread, most likely a 1/4-20 or 5/16 course thread. Screw it into the threads, then grip the end of the bolt with a pair of vice grip pliers and try tapping against the vice grips to pull the threaded portion out.

Last trick is a sawsall with a metal blade and just cut it off. This would probably be the best route because it would not damage the hole where it is visible. Then you could pull out the hardware and see if you can find new replacements for it. I tried several links when I Googled for transom window hardware and did not see any internal pins like yours, only the surface mount replacements. But I only checked a couple of the links.

OK one more idea with a low probability of success. Mix up a little epoxy or JB Weld, put one drop on the end of each pin and then tap the pins back into place. Make sure they are seated well. After 24 hours, take a pair of pliers and try to first twist the pins to break any paint bonds, then pull outward and see if that opens the window.
    Last edited by keith3267; 12-30-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: add one more idea

Transom pins are inserted from the out side of the transom frame and then the inside pin is pressed in. You can not remove the pin assembly through the inside. If the pins are stuck you can try as I stated bouve to move them with a thin blad between the transom frame and the door fram or you can cut them off and and install new ones once the transom is removed.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks, guys! I've tried everything but the sawsall to no avail, so once I get a sawsall, I'll post the solution! I've noticed that the little decorative parts on the inner most part of the window frame where the pins are attached is starting to crack, so I suspect that you are right that the transom was not installed separately, but was partially prefabricated with part of the frame, and installed by attaching the decorative sides to the frame. I guess I'll find out soon!

Veronica