+ Reply to Thread

Default research guidance

Recently purchased home which I believe to be combination Arts & Crafts and Bungalow style. It's half a duplex and I think it was built from a plan as there are three identical duplexes in a row. We want to restore some of the interior to what it was designed to be. Any suggestions on where I might find the correct original floor plans? Tax records indicate the home built around 1910.

Default Re: research guidance

Where is this home located?

Neighborhood home tours, houses for sale and historical societies are great resources.

home is in central Pennsylvania. does location make any difference in what building plans were used? I also need to find out what type of flooring was used as we plan to replace the wood floors that were removed over 30 yrs ago.
    already contacted local historical society, but will have to plan a few hours searching their archives.
    Last edited by vintagepreferred; 12-29-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: additional comment

You may not find a floor plan for your particular home, but once you get the idea how they were all built you can figure out yours. I live in 1920's bungalow-land as well. There were many options of original construction to choose from but basically they were all framed with the same methodology. Sometimes they mirror flipped the plan, added a bump out, put the porch on the other side.....

Another possible source for good information might be local architects. Some old time architect might be able to recognize what you have.

I'll add that option to my research list. A local historian who worked for the city establishing an archive told me that a lot of the homes in my area of the city were built on speculation from set plans, so I don't know if there are any architectural firms in the area that go that far back. The local builders' association is only about 50 years old. I did find an 1901 Ward Map ******, and the owner of my parcel owned the whole block plus the next northern one as well. Their name was on the map, so I guess I need to research that person as well to see if they were affiliated with any local builder of the period.