+ Reply to Thread

Default Cat pee smell on concrete. Need to address before tiling - HELP!!!

I need some help in this one. I am not sure this is the right place to post it, but I will try.

We are looking at finishing the basement in a family cottage. The concrete is in great shape and we are planning on having it tiled. The one problem we have was in a corner where about 2 yrs ago a cat peed. At that time the walls were unfinished and the area was cleaned the best it could be so that the smell no longer permeated the area. Now a smell can still be noticed if smelling right in the correct area. I would love to do something about it before we tiled the floor!

In areas that have a wood subfloor I have gotten rid of cat ordor by sealing in with BIN or other similar sealers. I had hoped that I would be able to put down a BIN or some other primer on the floor to seal in the issue, but that doesn't seem advisable since tile might not adhere to that area. (I have ZERO tiling experience, so that is what I have read so far)

Is there anyway I can seal a smell into the concrete and still tile over the area without the risk of the smell returning?

Default Re: Cat pee smell on concrete. Need to address before tiling - HELP!!!

This works for skunk, I don't know if it will work for cat pee though. Mix one cup of baking soda with one quart of Hydrogen Peroxide, and then scrub this into the area. After about 15 minutes, rinse with clear water.

What kind of tile are you planning on? If you are using ceramic tile with thinset and grout, I don't think the smell will come through. If you are planning on vinyl tile, if you put it down the old fashioned way with a tar based adhesive, it should also block any smell. Self sticking tile, I'm not sure of.

Before tiling, I'd try to treat the area. There are different products on the market which promise to get rid of cat urine smell in concrete. Oil base sealer/paint works as well.

Anything oil based will be a bond breaker when it comes to installing the tile. Wash it normally then tile over it to encapsulate the odor. With a decent quality ceramic or porcelain nothing will get through,

Update - We are planning on ceramic, so that info is great to hear!

When out at the cottage this weekend I concluded that the smell was more coming from the wall cavity and not the floor that I had cleaned (The foundation is made from precast walls, so they have the cast concrete cavity build in with nailing strips in the concrete for the green board). There was about a 1/2 inch gap between the bottom of the drywall and the floor where I had access to the cavity. I taped off the edge of the concrete and used a can of BIN to spray the bottom of the cavity which solved part of the problem, but not all. I then spray-foamed the two cavities in question with the large crack filler and there is no longer a smell in that area. I am not 100% sure it was the best way to fix it, but it seems to work.

Thanks for the other advice!

Urine is acidic and when it hits the surface of the concrete, it will be absorbed up to 1/8". If you use a surface cleaning, you will remove the uring on the surface but not the urine within the concrete.

There are several concrete cleaners on the market you can attempt to use. In some cases, an acid cleaning may be the only other alternative.

Once the concrete has been cleaned, consider sealing it with the Armor S2000 concrete sealer to prevent any further urine, or other liquids, from being absorbed.