+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Travel

Default Travel

We ahve to make an emergency out of town tarvel for 10 days. here in Texas temp is around 28-42 right now.
    I am planning to shut down the main water valve to house as well as hot water lines to home and drain all the pipes and flush toilet tanks
    Plan to put the hot water heater in vacation mode and home temp will be kept around 72 with all the cupboards open
    Am I thinking correct ? Do i need to change anything ?
    Do I need to cover the toilet lids closed or open ( to prevent freezing/ the water evaporation )
    I am going on family emergency and really rattled. Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Default Re: Travel

call me crazy but that sounds like a lot of work for 10 days. why not just lower the house temp to 50 while you're gone and just leave everything as is.

also, DO NOT leave the water heater set at 75 if you're going to drain all the water lines and don't take the water out of the toilets, your house will be full of sewer gases. they make an antifreeze for toilets.

thank you for your reply
    I am going to keep the house temperature at 72 , not the water heater. water heater will be on low or vacation setting.

I will leave the toilets alone then !!

We just received the news that our young cousin in service is gravely injured and we are flying out of country to see him- very sad and worried about him and all the travel and visa issues to take care within today !!

I have no experience in sub freezing temps, but I would think that your only concern has to be exterior pipes. Main water line to the house and sprinkler system (if any).

Sprinkler was draines along time ago . Outside pipes are covered .

Quote Originally Posted by mom1967 View Post
    Sprinkler was draines along time ago . Outside pipes are covered .
    In this case don't worry so much about the house, you have enough on your mind.

Travel and return home safely. Don't forget your keys, wallet and passport.

Thank you .Family is going to make some difficult choices regarding this boy and that is going to be very sad.

Mom,

Don't know if you have left yet but not to worry about the home. Much colder up here in Ontario and all that the Snowbirds here do before leaving for the south is lower the temp to around 55 dependent on the homes insulation, put the hot water heater on vacation mode and drain all exterior hose bibs, that's it.

Good luck and God Bless.

Just put the water heater in vacation mode and go.

I hope your cousin gets well soon.