+ Reply to Thread

Default 12 old fridge: repair or replace

My son's fridge is 12 years old. The fresh food side is freezing even in the lowest temp setting.

The one thousand dollar question is: repair it or replace it?

Repair could run $100 or more even if we do the work and he will still have a 12 year old appliance (that has a 15 year life expectancy).

Replace is almost a thousand dollars, but he will have a new fridge.

Any suggestions for my son?

Default Re: 12 old fridge: repair or replace

I would replace it. Even if it is repaired by a professional, the chances are it won't be less than $100 and it is only a matter of time before it will need something else fixed. Replacing it means he won't have to worry about any maintenance for hopefully another 12 years. Good luck!

If you or he does the work, then it won't cost you any more than parts. I would recommend diagnosing the problem (probably a faulty thermocoupler ) and see what the parts cost and base your decision on that, if it's what I suspect, probably not more than $30.

The thermocoupler controls a door between the freezer and the refrigerator, when it faults, the door will usually stick in the open or closed position, sounds like yours is stuck open.

Look on-line for an owners manual or service manual for the refrigerator you're working on, at the very least it will have a parts view to know where to look. At best it will have a troubleshooting guide to help you narrow the problem down. You might also contact the manufacturer for help.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks sammyjo and spruce.

He listened to me (for a change) and bought a new one when they were running crazy sales for new year's. He always had a good sense of timing.

I think he has the old one in his garage. I guess he's hinting that he would like to have it fixed...whenever dad has time of course...
    Last edited by dj1; 01-31-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I guess he's hinting that he would like to have it fixed...whenever dad has time of course...
    Hint back that as soon as he fills the thing with beer, you'll be over to take a look.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Hint back that as soon as he fills the thing with beer, you'll be over to take a look.
    Now you're talking spruce !

I'll have the beer BEFORE looking into the fridge.

Technically, you'd have to look INTO the fridge to choose the beer you wanted. As far as trying to diagnose anything, well, you'll have to decide if that happens pre or post beer consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    If you or he does the work, then it won't cost you any more than parts. I would recommend diagnosing the problem (probably a faulty thermocoupler ) and see what the parts cost and base your decision on that, if it's what I suspect, probably not more than $30.

The thermocoupler controls a door between the freezer and the refrigerator, when it faults, the door will usually stick in the open or closed position, sounds like yours is stuck open.

Look on-line for an owners manual or service manual for the refrigerator you're working on, at the very least it will have a parts view to know where to look. At best it will have a troubleshooting guide to help you narrow the problem down. You might also contact the manufacturer for help.
    The "door" is the damper that lets in cold air to the Refrig side; it closes and all the air goes to the freezer. When left open, it will chill to about 28 while the freezer remains at 0. Assume this is true for top/bottom and side-by-side.

Just happened to my 8-year old unit side/side; GE guy arrives, and knew what the likely problem is. He unstuck the damper door, but we had to monitor to see if it reverts to operating tempuratures (37 refrig and 0 for freezer) -- fortunately, not an sensor or motor part. He had to charge the GE rate, $150. New GE Monogram 42" side-by-side Stainless -- about $8,000 list (would replace with Subzero or German). So was happy camper for the repair (frozen eggs, ice in OJ, etc.).

(Story hasn't ended yet -- the water dispenser reservior sprang multiple leaks -- we suspect the water froze & cracked the plastic reservoir. GE guy's coming agian next week.)