+ Reply to Thread

Default Making tight laminate quarter round molding cuts

I have installed laminate flooring in my dining room and need to add quarter round molding. All my rooms have base board and the entrances to all my rooms have rounded corners with two cuts approximately 22.5 degree each. I can not seem to make clean cuts and the miter cuts can not be filled with any sort of filler since it is laminate. How do I make tight cuts? Thanks!

Default Re: Making tight laminate quarter round molding cuts

The key to good cuts are:

1 - An accurate saw
    2 - A sharp blade
    3 - Proper trim orientation against the saw fence.

After that, the easiest way to go about it is to custom fit each corner. Sure, theoretically the corners are precisely 90*, which means your companion angles would be equal divisions of that. The thing is, you will never find a corner of any kind that is a perfect angle, therefore custom cutting each angle is going to be necessary.

Using scrap pieces, (it doesn't even have to be the actual trim ), cut your corner blocks and test fit, then adjust the saw slightly until you've got a perfect fit. Once you've got a perfect fit you cut the actual trim pieces. Sure, this is a pain in the patootie, but you will be assured good fitting joints.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Let me just add this: when you make your actual cuts from scrap moldings, use pieces long enough so you don't injure a finger.

Thanks for the assist!