+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sealing cedar

Default Sealing cedar

I am building a grist mill out of cedar. The water wheel will spin by water flowing over it. What is the best way to seal it?

Default Re: Sealing cedar

Lightning,

I am not exactly sure what you mean by sealing? No finish is going to keep the water out of the wood being used as an active water wheel. The wood is being constantly immersed in water. There is much jointery and all those joints are subjected to stress. For sure, DON'T varnish the parts. Varnish is doomed to failure in short order. At best, you could oil the wood, but eventually the wood will still get totally saturated. I think your best bet is to just let the wood age naturally. Cedar, especially heart grade cedar, is highly rot resistant and would probably last years with no finish at all.

you'd be better off using azec, a pvc composite trim thats specifically designed for exterior use.. it comes in flat stock.. sheets and various moldings,. if you do go that route you HAVE to use stainless steel connectors and fasteners
    fire up the saw and make some dust

You mis-typed and meant Aztec I believe.

Water wheels weren't meant to last forever. Aside from the water, there is ice, branches, and all manner of stuff floating down river which will do a number on your wheel. Think of it as a tire that needs occasional replacement.

it's AZEK....now many companies make their own version of it

it is azec i use it all the time.. there are other brands available.. certainteed calls their version 'restoration board"
    fire up the saw and make some dust