+ Reply to Thread

Default Water Damage- Severely rotted floors w/no room to work under house

I have a one story house. After purchasing, I found that the house constantly floods due to the village drainage problems. Drainage problems have been somewhat fixed, but our house is crumbling around us! Walls and ceilings are cracked and feet have went through floors in two spots so far. We don't have the money to pay a contractor. And I still owe a mortgage. My fiancÚ is real handy. However, the WHOLE floor needs replaced. All joices are rotted and I thought there was a slab. We cut openings in the floor and most you can barely fit your arm into. With NO room under house .. What are our options. We thought about cutting house off at the base and putting steel beams to lift it up while we rebuild floors. But with no experience and the condition of the house.. Worried it will just fall apart. Also, have a breezeway and attached garage that were added on at a different level, therefore the roof would have to be cut. PLEASE HELP! We are not going to stay here much longer (1-2 more years). There is no way we could get it sold or even use it as a rental in this condition. When we do this it needs to be ventilated well under the house. At this point if a DRY towel or anything is left on the floor for even an hour.. It gets wet with condensation because we have so much moisture. I know we have mold issues, but can't solve anything until we can figure a solution for the floors and ventilation. Please help with any solutions!

Default Re: Water Damage- Severely rotted floors w/no room to work under house

I don't know where you can start, but I do know that you will need money to get going. Even if you want to DIY.

It takes money to make money.

I'd start with the foundation and the roof. If you don't have these two you don't have anything.

Good luck.

Pulling up the floor will allow work on the joists.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

imagine that this is going to cost you 20k-30k to remedy via a contractor. i think it would be smart to pay a contractor and or an engineer, say 1k, to have them come in, assess the situation, give you a materials list and tell you what has to be done and how. you might not like spending the 1k but if it can save you 10k or move over the whole job, don't you think it would be money well spent? also, don't forget that since you want to sell the house relatively soon that you're going to have to deal with a home inspection and i wouldn't even consider doing this without permits.

How long have you lived in the house? Was the prior flooding disclosed at closing?

Most law firms will give you one hour free to discuss our options. Ask any independent business person in your village which lawyer they hate/fear the most and spend an hour with him/her. Don't feel bad for the real estate agent or the closing company that had a hand in this, they have insurance for this kind of thing.

You would be fortunate if it is only the joists. If the sill plates and rim joists are rotten too, the problem is greatly aggravated. I might be making a false assumption that there are indeed sill plates and rim joists present, but something is holding the ends of the joists up.

I think MLB in the above post has a good suggestion. You need knowledgeable assessment of what is totally involved, at a minimum a good framing carpenter.

I'm new to posting on this site and didn't think anyone responded to my question. Just found your replies. Sorry!!

I'm almost positive the WHOLE thing is rotted. Sill plates & rims.

It was not disclosed at time of purchase. I have an old HS friend that was in Land Contract before us and backed out when they realized the flood problems. Never heard a word about it until after a year in the home. Asked several lawyers if there was a statue of limitations on this subject and none of the lawyers had answers or solutions for me on a legal end. I have been in the home since 2001.

I think the best thing right now would be to get an estimate from a few professionals on how they would solve the problem and decide from there if we could accomplish it ourselves or need to hire a professional.

Thank you all for your help and response! Again, sorry I didn't notice them earlier. Actually was browsing the site for another question and just noticed them.

If your floors are that close to the ground, you might consider pouring a concrete slab. To lift a house up to put a new foundation under it, you would call a house moving service.

Sometimes it is cheaper to just knock it down and build new.
    Last edited by keith3267; 03-19-2013 at 12:18 AM.