+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bathroom fan ?

Default bathroom fan ?

my bathroom fan does not perform as expected. i run it all the time during showers and it doesnt seem to exhaust well. the bathroom is always fogged over and wet- i put my hane up to it and 1 side actually feels like air is blowing back into the room..... the fan is vented out into the soffit- i know i know.... it turns down into the eave and butts the vented soffit and is caulked around the perimeter so not to allow it to leak into the attic-----
    is there a formula to see if the fan is large enough first- then ideas?

Default Re: bathroom fan ?

aside from it being properly vented to the exterior and the vent not being blocked. there is one thing that people and contractors often overlook. in order for a fan to properly vent damp air out of the bathroom, the fan has to be able to pull fresh air into the room. most often this is done via a gap, approx 1/2", at the bottom of the door. if there is no way for the fan to pull fresh air in, it can not get the damp air out.

my door is undercut 7/8" it has the ability to draw air-

right where the fan expels air into the flex vent in the attic there is a damper. if the damper was installed upside down or backwards then the air would not be able to be exhausted. easy way to check it to hold about 3-4 squares of toilet paper against the fan. if the TP sticks to the fan without falling down, then it's exhausting. if it falls, then there's something blocking the exhausted air.

Re: the damper that MLB mentioned, I've seen it get stuck on more than one occasion. Basically, the water vapor, paper & skin dust, and probably who-knows-what-else is sucked up by the fan. Some of that ick sticks to the internal parts of the fan, including the damper. Eventually enough builds up so that at some point when you turn off the fan, the damper closes and never opens up again.

Remove the grille, unplug the fan unit and remove the fan assembly from the housing. You should then be able to access the damper which you can then get unstuck.

While you're at it, give all the parts a good cleaning. You may be able to disassemble the motor, clean the shaft and bearings, reassemble and lubricate with light machine oil (such as 3-in-1).

Just do it. It's not that hard, and it needs to be cleaned anyway.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

You can also replace the fan and the motor, if cleaning the old is not something you like to do. Not terribly expensive.