+ Reply to Thread

Default Pex manifold question.

I'm re-plumbing my hot water line for the house with Pex through the attic and was considering setting up a manifold at the tank. So my question is, are there any real disadvantages and/or advantages to a manifold over traditional single supply line with T's to outputs?

Default Re: Pex manifold question.

i have a manifold in my basement, all pex, and i love it. a separate line goes to each fixture and i have them labeled. the beauty of it is that i can turn off the hot or cold for any fixture in the house from one location. if the cold water shutoff for one of the sinks upstairs has to be replaced, i can just turn off the water to that one shutoff valve.

the downside to this setup, for some people not for me, is that when you turn on the hot water in an upstairs bathroom, it takes about 20 seconds for the water to get hot. the bathroom that backs up to that one, the water takes just as long to get hot. if i had both of those bathrooms on one line, the second bathroom would get hot right away if the first one was already primed with hot water.

so i guess it depends on the size of your house as to whether it would get on your nerves or not.

the beauty of this system is that everything is isolated and i piped the entire house, hot and cold, in about 4-6 hours. if i did it in copper it would have been at least 2 days. another plus is that if you want to add a tee into any of the lines you can do it in less than 5 minutes, in copper it would take you at least a half hour.

as you can tell, i'm 100% pro-pex. the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    the downside to this setup, for some people not for me, is that when you turn on the hot water in an upstairs bathroom, it takes about 20 seconds for the water to get hot. the bathroom that backs up to that one, the water takes just as long to get hot. if i had both of those bathrooms on one line, the second bathroom would get hot right away if the first one was already primed with hot water.
    But you have to remember that with a tee, the line to the first bathroom would be 3/4", then 1/2" to the second, so it would take about twice as long to get the hot water to the first bath and more than twice as long if you were going to the second bath without the first bath already primed. If you use the crimp tee's, then you also have to buy the 3/4" crimp tool as well as the 1/2" crimp tool @ about $100 ea.
    Last edited by keith3267; 12-24-2012 at 05:20 PM.

for a sink line, adding a 1/2" line on a tee from another 1/2" line going to another sink you would not need a 3/4" line. the only thing that's nice to have a dedicated 1/2" line is the tub/shower and it's not required by code. you can easily run 2-3 sinks off of one 1/2" line.

also, depending on what kind of crimping setup you have, some of them do both 1/2" and 3/4". i have both sets and now i only use the one that does both. the fittings are cheaper and you only need one crimper.