+ Reply to Thread

Default Frogs In Crawlspace? (Seattle)

Merry Christmas.

Seattle.

An odd time to post, but... there is this sound which I -swear- is a frog coming from under my house... been going on for -months... usually at night but often when it rains.

whikik..whikik.whikik

...periodically for 3-4 minutes at a stretch. Then it stops.

For months I swore it had to be some insect or mechanical noise or aliens, but it just sounds like those tiny spring frogs at the pond.

There's a sump pump under the house, so is it too looney an idea that the guy is over-wintering in 'the pond'?

If it's not a frog.... what the hell is it?

TIA,

---JC

Default Re: Frogs In Crawlspace? (Seattle)

Quote Originally Posted by suntower View Post
    been going on for -months... usually at night but often when it rains.

whikik..whikik.whikik

...periodically for 3-4 minutes at a stretch. Then it stops.
    Quote Originally Posted by suntower View Post
    There's a sump pump under the house, so is it too looney an idea that the guy is over-wintering in 'the pond'?

If it's not a frog.... what the hell is it?
    From your description it sounds like the sump pump is cycling.
    1 - When it rains.
    2 - At night - you probably only notice it at night because the ambient noise in and around the house is much lower at night.
    3 - You hear it for 3 to 4 minutes at a time, very much like the normal operation of a sump pump, it will only run when triggered to do so and will run until the water has been ejected, depending on the size of the sump pit and the quantity of water, 3 to 4 minutes sounds about right.

What I would recommend you do is to find the discharge for the sump, then when you hear the noise, go check to see if there is water flowing. In lieu of that, find the pump and check it out when you hear the noise.

The only other way to figure out what and where it's at would be to stake out where you hear the noise and wait for it to come, then search until you find the source. Or, you could call Ghostbusters!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I don't think you have frogs...frogs would be noisy 24/7.
    Spruce's explanation makes sense.

Thanks. It's in the crawl space... by the time I'd get down there to hear it 'in action' it would probably be gone.

I'm wondering if this isn't a job for a cheap remote video camera I could hook up to my computer that's somewhat weatherproof?

Anyone know of something like that?

ALSO: If it -is- the sump pump, are they hard to replace? I mean... can I just 'plug n play' a replacement from some place like Lowes?

---JC

You can tape a flashlight and pencil video camera to a radio controlled toy car to explore the underside of your house.

What I would recommend is to try to time the intervals of when you hear it, when you get a relatively accurate reading, then you'll know when to time going under the house to find the pump.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks again. I pretty much know -where- it's coming from. I just don't know where to get such a camera. And how much they cost. Any recommendations?

if it had a long enough cable I could just run it out one of the vents and up into my office (which is just above the sump pump).

Best,

---JC

No recommendations.

FWIW, this frog-like sound is....

A frog.

Apparently, these are indigenous frogs here in Seattle. They're in many backyards and in the local parks. Apparently, frogs here don't hibernate in winter.

The frog found a way to the sump pump.

The question is... is it worth worrying about? The rest of the basement is dry so it's not a 'moisture' issue.

IOW: do frogs spread 'disease' or plagues?

Last time I read the Bible, frogs were the plague and not the source but your local health dept will know what species is common to your area. There would have to be some sort of contact anyway.

If you want the frogs gone, a Jack Russell Terrier will do the trick with no need for you to crawl under there. You can often borrow one from the local Jack Russell rescue. I've lent out my jacks to rid neighbors of their rodents in attics and under homes before.
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 02-02-2013 at 01:00 AM.

I dunno. I've got schipperkes which are pretty good verminators.

But for some reason, they won't go for amphibians. They seem puzzled by 'em.

Cheers