+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Bathroom Fan Leaks Water

TOH,

I have a bathroom fan on the ceiling of master bath. For years I have had no issues with the fan leaking, last winter the fan leaked water once, no problems over the summer. This fall/winter however the problem is recurring more frequency.

--

I do not know where the fan vents to, it does not vent to the roof, or through an exterior wall. I assume it vents via the ridge or gable vent, I do not have an accessible attic.

I pulled the fan out of the housing and was able to verify the leak is inside the vent pipe, so I can safly eliminate a supply line, or a roof leak. I am guessing the water is condensation.

--

What I do not understand, is what has changed in the house to cause this problem? Could the vent be blocked on the exhaust side?

The only major change I have made to the house was replacing all the windows on the floor below the master bath, the master bath windows are older single pane windows.

I would appreciate any advice you could provide.

Ian

Default Re: Bathroom Fan Leaks Water

What you have now, a bathroom fan venting into an unaccesible attic - is not ideal. Are you sure you can't get into the attic?
    This is most likely condensation water.
    How do you solve it? by ducting to the outside and by insulating the duct.

DJ1,

Thanks for the information, I agree with you about the installation. Regarding the attic, the only access is a small gable vent.

What confuses me is why has this only recently become a problem. I would think that an improperly installed vent would always leak.

IW

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    What you have now, a bathroom fan venting into an unaccesible attic - is not ideal. Are you sure you can't get into the attic?
    This is most likely condensation water.
    How do you solve it? by ducting to the outside and by insulating the duct.

I wanted to thank you for this great read!and I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so! really nice post.

Great post!
    Thanks for sharing.

thanks,