+ Reply to Thread

Default insulating for sound

We live in a waterfront condo built in 1972. My rather poreous second floor homes peace and quiet is at the mercy of my third floor neighbor. Their wall to wall carpet was replaced with
    bamboo on top of sound barrier padding (which seems useless)which is over concrete covered wood. We hear every footstep.
    What is the best material for blown in insulation? What are the concerns I should have in regards to this. Will this be a problem in such a humid area? Will it work or will it be as bad as the sound barrier padding? Thanks, Krueger

Default Re: insulating for sound

You can hear footsteps through a sound barrier and concrete, I'm not sure there is any cavity insulation that will help you. If you want to try it, just about any insulation should do and since there are conditioned spaces on both sides, moisture should not be a problem.

Default Re: insulating for sound

My suggestion would be to remove the drywall from the ceiling, exposing the joist bays. Insulate the cavities with standard fiberglass insulation -- not so much as a sound barrier (even though it will help), but as thermal insulation. That way you're not paying to heat your upstairs neighbor's condo.

Then, before installing new drywall, use sound isolating furring strips running perpendicular to the joists or isolation clips attached directly to the joists. The drywall attaches to this.

There is a considerable amount of sound telegraphed through the joists. By isolating the drywall from the joists you can eliminate most of this telegraphed sound.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Smile Re: insulating for sound

I recommend that you remove your ceiling drywall, then add some denim insulation. You can easily find it ******, it comes in all different thicknesses and is nontoxic, fire resistant, great for sound proofing on a budget. I insulated a home theater with this stuff. I have the soundtrack cranked and the next room is quiet, not a peep. I then used two layers of 1/2" drywall with no matching seems. I think the code requires 5/8ths on the ceiling.

My home theater has the denim in every wall and ceiling. It was a bit tricky putting it on the ceiling, I had to use a roll of chicken wire to hold it in place, but once I figured out an easy way to unroll it while installing the denim insulation it worked well.

In the end it cost less than a third of what it would have cost me had I used sound board.