I have a very nagging issue with the cold drafty floor in front upstairs bedroom of my house built in 1969.

This is a 4-bedroom split-level house. There are about 60 houses in my comunity, half of them have the same design.

On a cold chilly night, the draft comes from the built-in closet in the corner of the bedroom. I have to stuff the closet with sofa pillows to somewhat mitigate to cold spreading across the floor.

I borrowed the IR camera from a friend and verified the source of air leaks -- the corner of the closet from floor to the ceiling, and the outside corner of the T-intersection that forms the frame of the closet's door.

I called the insulation company, they came out and insulated the basement, both attics (split-level). They also listened to my grievances over the cold drafty cantilevered bedroom and suggested to insulate the exterior walls and the closet of the bedroom. They drilled 2" holes in the walls and filled the space between joists with Insulsmart foam.

Also, they ripped open the cantilever's soffit panels, cut through the plywood, and thus gained the access to the subflooring of the bedroom. The old insulation was all sc****d and cleaned up. Then they installed 2" rigid board foamulars, sprayed over with closed cell urethane foam, and filled the void with R-19 faced fiberglass batts. The plywood and the soffit was restored to its original location.

There was the air duct that comes out along the bedroom ceiling right into the cantilever, makes an upward turn and feeds the hot air into the register of the upstairs bedroom. They sprayed the duct with the same closed cell foam.

All of that made very little difference to the cold drafty condition of the upstairs bedroom. On any given windy day, the temperature in the bedroom is 1F-1.5F degrees lower then the rest of the house. The air flow from the register (there are 2 in the room) is adequate. And the ceiling and wall are pretty well insulated now.

Which leads me to believe that the air leakage that is still present causes the room to cool down much faster then it should.

I went back to the insulation company and their explanation was that most likely the corners of my house are built in an conventional three-stud (2" x 6") formation that leaves the isolated gap (or cavity) which is impossible to get to and insulate. Same goes for the T-intersection that form the closet.

They also pointed out that another potential source of air leak might be the gap left between the underflooring of the bedroom and the rim joist.

I suggested we can pry enough closet drywall open, gain access to the studs, drill through 2"x6" studs and fill the three-stud void with foam. To that I got no reply from the insulation company.

In addition, while doing the cantilever work they managed to dislodge (or cut) the electrical wire that runs along the exterior wall and now my bedroom does not have any electricity (not even the ceiling light). Surely they deny any wrongdoing on their part.

The board would not let me post any links or images untill I score at least 10 posts. I rehashed this posting with some snapshots in my blog:

vladislav-grinchenko [dot] blogspot [dot] com

Here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to validate that the corners are really built with three-stud formation that leaves the gap tunnel?

2. What would be the best way to remedy the problem with that room? Is there a way out?

This is 15% of my house' living space and I really would like to make it useful.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.