+ Reply to Thread

Default Fixable or should I replace?

Hello, I am frustrated. We have lived in our house for about 8 1/2 years and when we bought the house, it had been completely redone. Very quickly the window frames for about 5 of the windows have broken. I do not know the brand of the windows but can tell you that the are single hung, tilt out windows. Very plain windows, most likely from Home Depot or Lowes. When you open the windows, the top part of the window slams down. The metal pieces inside the window frame are all broken. When the top slams down, I can see that it is off its track. It is also almost impossible to push the window back up. I hope I explained enough to give someone an idea of what Im talking about.When I say 5 of the windows, I live in a very small house and the few other windows are of a completely different brand and style. I am concerned about this for safety reasons and also because it is very inconvient. Does anyone know if this can be fixed? Should we replace? Also, is there a way to figure out what the brand is? Thank you so much.

Default Re: Fixable or should I replace?

Check ever accessible area of the window frame and sashes for identifying markings, from there you can contact the manufacturer for repair parts. Another alternative is to call a glass company and have them come out to assess the problem.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You have double hung windows, not single hung. You can get some thin lath boards or thin trim boards. 1/4"x1 1/4" and cut to fit in the outer channel to keep the top window from coming down.

From what you're describing, I'd say replace them. If your windows are standard sizes replacements won't break your bank account. You don't even have to replace them all at once, but doing them all at the same time may get you a lower price.

Why? because you have to be really lucky to find parts and if you finally do, the labor will be high. Then there's the security issue that you mentioned.

Replacing the windows will turn out to be a wiser choice than repairing them. The Cost of repairs are high, and the window wont be new after that, even after paying a bomb. So just contact some good window replacement company and get the window changed. It wont cause any troubles, plus with a slightly more cost you will have New windows for yourself!

Are these vinyl windows? Sounds to me like the balance spring is broken. You might be able to get replacements and even install them yourself, if you're handy.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.