+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Okay.....order of converting a garage.....

If the floor is really uneven, putting click-lock laminate (Pergo) directly on it will cause problems. The stuff really doesn't like to bend. If it's a slight waviness that might be OK.

As for home theater wiring, install PVC conduit (either the stiff gray stuff or that blue flex stuff Carlon makes). The way technology changes, you'll want to be able to pull new cables through without tearing up the walls or running cables on the surface. Use the largest conduit you can successfully conceal in the walls.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: Okay.....order of converting a garage.....

Thanks for these pointers. I've had more experience with decoration than construction...though I have accomplished some adjustments by hand in the house....such as sinking bookcases I first adjusted into the walls etc. I'm looking at this project sort of like that...it's not really deconstructing anything, but more layering things on top of what's there (with no 1921 plaster and slats to remove, this time!)

I will look into the "floating engineered floor" procedure. It does sound easier than the sleeper floor (which is what I'm calling the type raised on 2X4s.)

The book I've mostly looked at, because it's so straightforward and has LARGE illustrations, is New Living Spaces (1980 edition) from the Time/Life series. It gives a good sense of what's actually inside a wall, a floor, a ceiling, a partition, etc...I'm sure there are more up-to-date books, but I like that that one is very basic, and seemingly geared toward weekend-warrior-types.
    Last edited by California_Cookie; 12-22-2012 at 12:46 PM.