+ Reply to Thread

Default Raising addition floor

Our house has an addition that is circa 1970's. We will be renovating the room soon, and want to raise the floor to the height of the kitchen it attaches to. The subfloor/foundation of the addition appears to be poured concrete. From measuring I have determined that the floor in the addition could stand to be raised about 2 1/2" or so. The room will be gutted during the renovation. I need ideas for a new subfloor.

I was thinking about raising the floor with rigid insulation and plywood. We are in Wisconsin and it might boost comfort level in the room. If I did that what would be the best way to secure the rigid and the plywood to the original subfloor? One issue with raising the floor is that I will need to also raise the doors to match, but we are reframing anyway for a new patio door and windows.

Also, what would I put under the doors if I raised the floor? Continue with the rigid and plywood, or something beefier?

Thanks.

Default Re: Raising addition floor

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    i would lay sleepers on the concrete then put foam down between, then 3/4 plywood over top then use whatever thickness underlay is needed to make finish floor line up with the existing
    Thanks. What would be the benefit of doing the sleepers? Also, can I place a patio door on top of rigid foam, or should I use lumber as a base?

Sleepers provide the suport for the new subfloor, ridgid foam by itself will compress over time.
    Not sure of the construction you have but have you considered radiant floor heat in light weight concrete?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Sleepers provide the suport for the new subfloor, ridgid foam by itself will compress over time.
    Not sure of the construction you have but have you considered radiant floor heat in light weight concrete?
    Jack
    Ok, I get it. Radiant with concrete would be great, especially for Wisconsin, but it sounds more expensive than we were hoping to spend.