+ Reply to Thread

Default Hearing each time the furnace runs through the return air duct in master BR - HELP!.

We have a 2 story house. The furnace is two stories down directly below out master BR. We have always has issues with hearing the furnace through the return air ductwork in our bedroom. Recently had some ductwork modified to better get heat up to our boys rooms. The HVAC is working much better, but the noise through the return air duct in the master is worse. Is there anything that we can do about this other than go back and discuss it with our contractor? I would like to be armed with some ideas before I make that call. Please help!

Default Re: Hearing each time the furnace runs through the return air duct in master BR - HEL

Old furnaces are noisy. There is the sound of gas flowing, the sound of the burners (like being at the airport...), the sound of the air pump, the sound of the air blower, the sound of metal heating up, the sound of the hot air in the ducts, and on and on.

Adding to the above, the bigger the unit (more burners and higher BTUs) and the older the unit mean more noise.

Now that you know why there is noise, you can determine what to do about it.

Nowaday, furnace makers offer quiter units with more noise reducing insulation, for more money of course.

I just installed a super quiet Rheem furnace, it was about 40% more expensive than the basic unit, but a lot quieter.

Default Re: Hearing each time the furnace runs through the return air duct in master BR - HEL

lotsa times there is a flexible 'coupling' coming off the furnace supply to keep the noise from being sent along the rigid ductwork. do you have one?

The furnace is only about 8 years old, so it isn't all that old. But it was installed before the couplings really became popular, so it is straight rigid ductwork.

After getting frustrated by the noise, I looked at the vent cover itself and about half of the problem was caused when the air flowed across the grill of the vent causing the metal to start to vibrate. This created a buzzing noise. After an attempt to fix it, I finally pulled down the vent cover and it will be replaced with the next trip to the hardware store.