+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Saw To Build Fence

I'd like to buy a saw for building a privacy fence but I've become confused by the number of options and prices. I have some other projects in mind, repairing our deck, building a tree fort. I don't want to over buy, but at the same time I don't want to limit myself by getting something too simple or not powerful enough. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Best Saw To Build Fence

I have a Dewalt 12" compound miter saw that has worked well for me the last 8 years.

Hitachi also makes a good saw from what i have seen (a friend has one).

i would recommend getting a good wheeled stand for it, makes support of longer pieces easier and its easier to wheel it to your work area than carry it along with saw horses, plywood platform, etc..

edited to add...by the way, congratulations on realizing that any project undertaken deserves a new tool to go along with it!!!
    Last edited by bp21901; 12-19-2012 at 11:20 AM.

For most handy homeowners, a sidewinder (no gear reduction ) saw will suffice. These units are lighter and cheaper than their worm drive cousins. One caution that I will offer is to watch which side of the saw the blade is on, this may sound funny, however, when in use, it's easier to see what you're doing with the blade on the inside of the saw, meaning if you're right handed, then the blade should be on the left side of the saw (visa-versa for lefties ).

As for a brand name, stick with a good one, such as Skil, Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee. The better quality the saw, the more accurate the cuts will be and the easier it will be to use. Stay away from Ryobi, Rigid, Craftsman, etc., these tools tend to be poorly made, under powered, and other things that make them not fun to use.

If you're looking for a chop saw, similar things apply. Stick with good name brands and buy the size appropriate to the work you want to do.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

if your using a mitre saw a stand is pretty much a must a homeowner doesnt need to go out and spend $300 on a stand with wheels. you can make one easily in an afternoon or buy a cheap one such as the ryobi. i have both the ryobi stand and the ridgid msuv (bosch graviy rise clone) but im carpenter by trade and need a quality gear thats mobile

you dont need a big mitre saw for building a fence a circular saw will suffice and its easier to move around, just take you time making cuts so their clean and straight. brand wise. makita makes the nicest saw, the newer dewalts arent bad.. nor are the milwaukees. a wormdrive is too much saw for someone who doesnt have much experience with saw,, their heavier and have way more torque than a sidewinder. i own both and use both on a regular basis but for different tasks
    fire up the saw and make some dust

All good recommendations.

Base your purchases on the amount of work you will have and how long you want to keep these tools. The good tools will be there long after the cheap tools burn out.

To build a wood fence, a right hand framing circular saw (7-1/4") can do it all. Some of the brands are: Skil, Makita and Porter Cable.
    Like Spruce mentioned, make sure that the blade in on the left side of the saw, making it visible when being used if you are right handed.

Don't forget to send pics when done!

I have a Craftsman circular I received from my first set of inlaws. 3 splices in the cord, many instances of blue smoke and flames, used it yesterday. Buy a compound miter saw spend no more than $200.00 and it will build many fences for you.

One saw is never enough.

keith dont get them started.. last thing we need is someone with a habit like mine.. i know the locations of things in the tool stores better than the employees... .. and i have a $8000 a year tool habit
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    keith dont get them started.. last thing we need is someone with a habit like mine.. i know the locations of things in the tool stores better than the employees... .. and i have a $8000 a year tool habit
    jkirk, it may not be a habit. It could be an obsession...

Just kidding of course, when it comes to tools, the sky's the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    jkirk, it may not be a habit. It could be an obsession...

Just kidding of course, when it comes to tools, the sky's the limit.
    Any job worth doing is worth buying new tools for!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!