+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Best Saw To Build Fence

One consideration is how heavy the saw is. I gave my delta 10" compound saw with cast bed to one of my kids and got a light weight 10" to lug around.

If you get a miter saw stand, make sure it's sturdy. I have a StableMate (by Fulton) that I really like.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Any job worth doing is worth buying new tools for!
    i buy new tools just so i can organize the tools i have... then buy more tools so i can have something to put together while killing time when cooking a roast lol
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    i buy new tools just so i can organize the tools i have... then buy more tools so i can have something to put together while killing time when cooking a roast lol
    I had to hire a butler to catalog and organize all my tools. For Christmas Santa is bringing me a computerized inventory robot that will retrieve the tools I need when I need them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Any old chop saw will work for a fence, The tool I found indispensable when building my fence was my table saw. I had to rip lots of pieces to fit the slightly uneven distances between posts.

I got a Dewalt 12" and works well

I would suggest a compound miter saw. I have a circular saw but found the miter saw to be much easier to handle for accurate 90 degree cuts (yes I'm not that steady) on larger stock like 4x4's. As an added bonus, you have it for angle work as well if you ever have the need. I got a GMC 10" slider free from a friend who had gotten a better unit. I got what I paid for, but for my projects thus far it has worked OK and I have no complaints for the price!

These are handy for cutting 6x6 posts:
    http://www.amazon.com/Makita-5402NA-.../dp/B0000614UR
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    These are handy for cutting 6x6 posts:
    http://www.amazon.com/Makita-5402NA-.../dp/B0000614UR
    Casey
    Hitachi used to make a 16" one as well- both are great tools, but the cost is an "OMG!" moment I'm still looking for a good used one at a reasonable price, but I expect to retire before that happens.

Phil