+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default shower repair??????????

I have a tiled shower and backed by my kitchen with NO access to the plumbing that I can find. Everything needs replacing it's so old, 1960's model home.Do I demo all the tile to get @ pipes? Please help!

Default Re: shower repair??????????

If everything got to go, then gut the bathroom to the framing and start anew.

Something is going to have to give here. If you don't want to tear out the tile, then maybe you can get to the plumbing from the kitchen side. Open the doors on the lower cabinets and if you see drywall, then that can be ripped out. If you see the back of the cabinet, then the cabinet will probably have to be removed, but that might be a better alternative to damaging a perfectly good tile wall. But if the tile isn't perfectly good...

Great post!
    Thanks for sharing.

thanks,

For complete information on shower replacement head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum. There you can post pictures and get answers specific to your project.

What??? Its too old definitely you should change it!!

If your shower was tiled in the '60s, it might be a good idea to tear it all out and start over. If there's any sign of moisture intrusion, you're not saving any money by not retiling. There were some good tile jobs back then, but most were not... materials and methods have improved dramatically in the last several years.

There are still hackers out there that will install using old methods or worse, but the options now available to good installers are much better than they used to be.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.