+ Reply to Thread

Question Two 240V 1500 watts baseboard heaters on one circuit double pole 20a breaker

Currently we have two 240v 1500 watts baseboard heaters on single circuit protected by double pole 20amp circuit breaker.

Is it safe to turn on both the heaters at highest heat at same time without any risk?

Default Re: Two 240V 1500 watts baseboard heaters on one circuit double pole 20a breaker

Sure, the combined load is 12.5A and a 20A circuit is allowed up to a 16A continous load.

Just be sure all the connections are made up properly.

Merry Christmas
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Question Re: Two 240V 1500 watts baseboard heaters on one circuit double pole 20a breaker

I just wanna make sure that they are double pole i.e total 40 amps and that is ok correct?

Default Re: Two 240V 1500 watts baseboard heaters on one circuit double pole 20a breaker

Quote Originally Posted by vikasintl View Post
    I just wanna make sure that they are double pole i.e total 40 amps and that is ok correct?
    No! If your double pole breaker is labeled 20 amps then it's 20 amps for each leg and doesn't add together to equal 40 amps.

Just to clear up a common misconception.....

On is On and Off is Off.

The baseboard heaters use the same 1500 watts of electricity whether you set the thermostat at 60 degrees or 90 degrees. At 90 degrees, they just stay on longer, using the same 1500 watts all the time.

It's not the same as a portable heater which might have low-medium-high settings.
    HTH

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave357 View Post
    Just to clear up a common misconception.....

On is On and Off is Off.

The baseboard heaters use the same 1500 watts of electricity whether you set the thermostat at 60 degrees or 90 degrees. At 90 degrees, they just stay on longer, using the same 1500 watts all the time.

It's not the same as a portable heater which might have low-medium-high settings.
    That's right. A thermostat is an on-off switch, controlled by temperature. When it gets too hot, it turns off. When it gets too cold, it turns full on. It's not a gas pedal.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.