+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Heating a Woodshop

I am renovating a 20x20 free standing garage into a woodshop. I will have a 60amp service to the building. Need advice on what to do about heating. Thinking that electric heat is the easiest solution. Can't seem to find any consensus on the internet on what works best. It must have thermostat control to maintain temp. It must be fireproof due to dust. Building has an existing concrete floor that I'm installing a raised wood floor on. Maybe radiant heat would work but don't have water service to the building. Working on a limited budget. Thoughts???

Default Re: Heating a Woodshop

We have a big pellet stove in our 40X24 woodshop. It is a good choice because it is a sealed combustion chamber, which means dust cannot get in (and explode) and flames cannot get out (and cause a fire). This meets PA fire codes at least. The draw back is the floor space that is lost in the stove and pellet storage. Electric baseboard heat with dust on them can catch fire. Other electric heaters may have filters to clog. Electric oil-based radiant heater would be good but youd need several for 20X20 Raditiant floor would be great if your budget can handle it.

we have sealed fire stove's at both our main workshop and the garage /shop at the company owners house. rarely need to buy firewood as we build custom homes and do large remodels.. we just burn the scrap lumber off the jobsite
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Need to maintain a temp. above freezing 24/7 so stove won't work. Any ideas out there on ceiling mounted electric heat? I agree... floor/baseboard electric is out of the question with settling dust.

Do you have a natural gas line by any chance?

Electric radiant floor heat is the most efficient by far.

I'd still have a wood burning stove though as it will save a lot of money burning off the old scraps. If you have the option, get a coal / wood stove. My old coal burner would go 30 hours without re-filling.

The shop I grew up using was heated by a wood stove made from a 55 gallon drum. Other than knocking the dust off the top of the stove from time to time, there really is a very low probability of igniting dust, you will lose the ability to breathe in the environment long before the ignition point occurs. The only real danger is the use of solvents and flammable finishes around an open flame source.

The use of a pellet stove with sealed combustion would be the more efficient and safe means of heat, you don't need much electricity to run it either.

On the point of airborne dust in a shop. You can minimize this greatly by using point of source vacuum systems (shop vac or dust collection system ) and by placing common fiber type furnace filters over the inlet/outlet of a box fan. The fan will not only circulate the air/heat in the space, the filters will catch the majority of the dust as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I don't have a gas line to the building. Seems like electric oil based radiant heat might work. Efficient, no fire danger. One option would be radiators in the space. The other would be installed in the space between the existing concrete floor and the wood floor I'm installing. Is this an option?
    Reputable manufacturers of electric oil based radiator heating systems with thermostats?

we keep the temp maintained at about 50 all the time with the pellet stove we only use a half a bag a day and have a thermostat hooked up. it was the cheapest way i found that was safe and could maintain constant temp

what is the heat load on your space that you want to heat? How many days / year will you need to heat?

These questions need to be answered before you can decide which solution is best.

If your budget is tight for the install i am assuming it will also be tight for the operation of the system as well. the answers to the first two questions will help decide which solution is the most economical to operate long term.