+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Exterior sound proofing?

I thought you were putting this outdoors, now it sounds like you are putting this inside your house. Please do not do this, not even near your house, not in an attached garage, not in a basement. Many people die every year due to carbon monoxide poisoning from generators in their garage or basement or even in some cases, outside but too close to the house.

Please be very careful with this, very careful.

Post Re: Exterior sound proofing?

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    I thought you were putting this outdoors, now it sounds like you are putting this inside your house. Please do not do this, not even near your house, not in an attached garage, not in a basement.
    Nope it's no where inside the house or garage. It's outside. All of the exhaust is going to be vented far away and there will also be an over sized fan to sweep the area with fresh air also. Not to mention a carbon monoxide sensor on the other side of the wall (inside the house). I'm well aware of the safety issues.

Good, you had me worried for a minute.

Post Re: Exterior sound proofing?

It's also going to be a Propane generator, so much less carbon monoxide to begin with.

MyMilan,

If you have not bought your generator yet, you might look into an RV generator. RV generators are inherently quieter because they run at a much lower rpm. Obviously, they are designed to be used with people sleeping inside the units and next to other campers. Many come in shrouds which help contain the noise and mounting systems which isolate the vibrations from the body of an RV.

I don't know what capacity you need, but Honda makes a series of extremely quiet inverter generators. I think the biggest is about 3000 watts, but they can be ganged together to provide more watts. The Honda's run under 60 decibels noise level. That is QUIET! I think their largest single ( not ganged) unit puts out 6500watts.

Years ago, there was a premium hi-fi loudspeaker manufacturer named Warfedale which used double walled construction on its speakers. The void in the double wall was filled with dry sand. It suppressed unwanted reverbaration.

Smile Re: Exterior sound proofing?

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    If you have not bought your generator yet, you might look into an RV generator.
    W o w THANKS Ordjen, I had never heard of these. A quick scan revealed that they are much more costly than a standard generator ($3000.00 - $5000.00) but I will still do research on them as an option. Thanks again!

I don't know what capacity you need, but Honda makes a series of extremely quiet inverter generators.
    Yes, they sent me their catalog which I'm looking at. On youtube there is a video where a guy is standing next to one and talking. He did not have to shout and at times you could barely notice the generator. I am praying that I'll be able to afford one because they are truly the best built generators on the market. I don't remember seeing a propane unit from them though, and that would probably the only reason I wouldn't want one. I'll have to look closer at their catalog.

Years ago, there was a premium hi-fi loudspeaker manufacturer named Warfedale which used double walled construction on its speakers.
    I used to have a pair of Warfedale's.

BTW, they are still very much in business and still sound incredible

http://soundimport.com/index.html

When it comes to choosing generators, Honda stands alone, in my experience.

I had a couple of Kawasaki 5000 that were stolen (welcome to So Cal). Now I have a couple of Honda 2000 and my suggestion is don't waste your money on any other brand.