+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy low hot water pressure

Spring time we had a new tub surround installed with new shower and tub plumbing. After install noticed that hot water pressure was extreemly low and the pressure dropped the more we increased the amount of hot water, to the point that it took more than 10 minutes to fill tub.
    Contacted the maker of the new plumbing. They came out and changed out the cartridges (what does that do?) that didn't help very much still take 9 or 10 or more minutes to fill tub. Several more trips out by manufactor then they finally put a pressure tester on lines. Cold water pessure fine, but with the hot water, the pressure before entering valve was 65 lbs and after the valve 10 lbs. Obvious problem was the valve, obvious solution was to change out the valve, which plumber just did with no appreciable inprovement. He checked to make sure we had copper through out the house (built in 1969) and checked the water pressure throuugh out the house. He is stumped on what the issue is and what to do about the problem. We have great water pressure everywhere in house both before and after the new install. Shower usable, but with my thick hair it does take a while to rinse shampoo and conditioner out as well as getting soap rinsed off. Any idea about a solution so we can get back our really good water pressure in that tub/shower?

Default Re: low hot water pressure

You forgot to tell us what kind of faucet you have, the make and model.

But it really doesn't matter, because it's got to be your faucet. Ask your plumber to switch brands and type of faucet. Go with an old fashion type Delta faucet (not pressure balance).

It sounds like your new faucet has a "water saver". As well as the replacement cartridges. Up here we can not buy any new fixture that does not have this feature. Drives me absolutely mad. The Gov. Ensures I am doing the right thing environmentally weather I pay more for water than gasoline. I scour yard sales looking for old fixtures. Reminds me of the old Seinfeld episode " illegal power shower".
    Last edited by SouthernCanuck; 12-10-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typo

Many plumbers 'forget' (lazy) to flush the lines when doing repairs. As a very first step, take the cartridges out and turn the water on for a few minutes and see if any gunk comes out. This takes 2 people. Also clean the cartridges themselves. Do this over a white sink with the drain closed to check for crud.