+ Reply to Thread

Question new house, floors 270 years old, help!

I am about to buy a Cape Cod-style home in the South Shore area of Massachusetts, it was built in 1743 and still has much of the original flooring. Some of those planks are 18" across! But they are looking a bit scratched up. I don't want to send in a refinisher to take a layer off the top, does anyone have advice on how to look after them, or know a Boston/S. Shore area expert in preserving antique floors?
    Thanks a million!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: new house, floors 270 years old, help!

i can help you out. i just refinished wood floors in a house built in 1735 in Lincoln, MA. i work on the south shore occasionally. what you can do to vasly improve the looks of the floors is to have them buffed (with a 120+ grit buffer) and polyed. basically what is does is it takes the finish off the floor and will usually remove a lot of the finer scratches. then the floors get a new 2 layers of poly and will come out looking great but still show their age. if you want the number of my guy, he works in the boston and surrounding areas, email me.

mlbconstruction1@gmail.com

Smile Re: new house, floors 270 years old, help!

It would be better to have good recommendations from people close to you, to your family or friends. If they are recommended, you can be sure they are reliable enough. They have know someone who can help you with it.

Default Re: new house, floors 270 years old, help!

While it really depends on their overall condition , I generally agree with the method suggested by MLB.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb