+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Buy or Run Away?

From what you described in the first post I would say you will have well over $300,000 in repairs unless you can do them all your self.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Wink Re: Buy or Run Away?

Aside from the huge cost in dollars and relationship, the aforementioned child (and future children) will be one of the biggest reasons the work gets delayed. Noise, dust, runny noses, toxic materials, mold, mildew, spending the holidays with relatives, and the usual safety concerns of an active work site easily throw a well designed work schedule right out the window.

Plus it takes years for them to grow up and be remotely helpful. Granted they can fetch tools at 4 or 5 but it takes a 7 year old to tell the difference between an 8 and 10 penny nail. It isn't until they are 9 or 10 until they can swing a hammer with accuracy or are tall enough to use a paint roller and reach the top of a wall or paint a ceiling. Then you'll still have to wait even more time for them to be able to work unsupervised. The last thing you want is a 14 year old pulling Romex by herself. They always overload the junction boxes. From this we learn that growing your own work force is a very slow, lengthy and tricky process and thus is generally avoided these days.
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 12-10-2012 at 11:17 PM.

lullooria, with so many saying "run" are you still thinking on buying?

Houston,

Off topic, please accept my apologies all.

I can't remember the last time I drove a nail, my hammer is yellow and says Dewalt on the side. We have ring shank and ardox spiral nails here if you look hard enough at the builder supply depot you might find a few. Everything is glued and screwed, or driven pneumatically. Please can you describe what a penny nail is? I have been dying to ask this question for years and now I'm getting old enough to not really care of I sound stupid. I have a relative in Western NY that always fills up on framing screws here with Robertson heads (square) and bits everytime he visits, more popular than Canadian bacon.

Thanks in advance.

Nails are sized by "penny" the term being used to describe each size. It has nothing to do with the copper American coin, just a unit of measurement. The symbol of penny = "d"

See this chart

And how did 'd' become the abbreviation for penny?
    The 'denarius' was an old Roman coin and as the centuries passed, the abbreviation 'd' eventually became associated with the old British penny.

Thank you H.R.

A nagging question has finally be answered, you should hear some of the answers I have gotten over the years. I imagine it would be too complicated to refer to a nail by how long it actually is.

Time to go and try to make some dinero, dinar, dollari.

Default Nail Size

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCanuck View Post
    Thank you H.R.

A nagging question has finally be answered, you should hear some of the answers I have gotten over the years. I imagine it would be too complicated to refer to a nail by how long it actually is.
    SC: hold off the dinero; you forgot to ask if there is a constant length-to-diameter ratio for nails. A 8d nail (2.5") is longer than a 6d nail (2"), but it is also larger in diameter. How is the diameter established ?

It seems as asbestos issue would be the first thing to tackle, and then a structural engineering firm to evaluate the house from the bottom to the top.

Those two things form the foundation of your purchase. You can find plenty of people to do the relatively minor things if they don't work or break.

The house worked once - it can do it again with TLC.

Consider it a several-year project.