+ Reply to Thread

Default propane gas line

As the homeowner, can I install a propane gas line for gas stove?

Default Re: propane gas line

in massachusetts it has to be done by a licensed plumber. that's something i wouldn't advise you to try on your own. it's one thing if you flood your basement as a DIYer......it's something else if you blow your house up.

I think it's mandatory in all states to have a qualified person do it. Just common sense.

In some states you use to be able to soft run copper for propane, not sure if that has been changed everywhere.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

A few years back I went into our local hardware store with a list of black pipe and fittings I required to run natural gas for hot water, stove etc. I was told by the elderly,angry recently semi retired clerk "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!!". I replied that he shouldn't worry himself and he might want to make a list of what I needed him to get for me. Again he reiterated what he first told me only in bolder text. I, being in a bit of a playful mood and somewhat bored I could see where this was going and played along again telling him not to worried and I had it covered. He then called over the owner with whom I knew quite well and told him that I was about to break the law and could possibly be responsible for an explosion that would take out the entire village.

What the well meaning clerk failed to ask me was whether I was qualified to run gas lines. At the time I was current with my gas fitters ticket in Ontario. So I ask, are you qualified to do so and if not are you are going to have someone who is? Simple, this is not a do it yourself project. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I don't think this is the answer you want to hear. Combustible gases are not to be dealt with lightly. Now that begs another question, if I can legally hook up a propane tank to my BBQ why can't I run a propane line? Somewhat rhetorical in nature however you're probably less likely to kill someone other than yourself.

I still had to have a master plumber sign off the job after a 100 psi pressure test held nitrogen for 24 hours.

If you have to ask the question I beg you to have a qualified tradesman do the task, properly.

You can run the lines, you just can't make the connections. If you are trying to save money here, you could run the soft copper line between the points where its needed and then hire a licensed person to make the connections and test the system.

Here can run the lines and make the connections but do need it tested before the propane is connected.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb