+ Reply to Thread

Default Kitchen Built-In Old Hardware: ID for Age etc...

I would like to determine the age of these antique hardware latches and hinges that Ive just cleaned up (used the crock pot method) from a century of paint. The pics can be seen here:
    http://www.handpaintedwoodsigns.com/kitchen.html

Our house was built in 1863, there are two different patterns to the latches, the one on left is 2-1/8" x 1-1/2" and its 1/8th inch bigger than the one of the right. I have three of the right, and one of the left.

The hinges I love, I love the gun metal finish. I would like refinish the latches to match the hinges. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Kitchen Built-In Old Hardware: ID for Age etc...

Could be as early as about 1850 or as late as about 1910.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The design of the latch on the right is 1884. It's originally from Sargent, the "Arcadia" pattern, but it was copied by others for years. One on the left I don't recognize by name, but it's the same Eastlake style and time frame.
    The steeple-tipped cast iron hinges are from the mid 1870's but they were made for at least 25 years. By 1884 they would have been going out of style, but of course that made them cheaper, and they would likely have been snapped up for utility areas and kitchens where the servants didn't care if the hinges were outre.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Dude, you are a walking encyclopedia. Thank you Casey and Jack.

we have those exact hinges in our house built in the early 20's as for the latches they actually look to me like they are platedi would try a wire wheel on them and see if you get bare steel i could be wrong but that is what it looks like to me