+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Peanuts

Default Peanuts

I was sitting in my living room when I noticed that the ceiling was leaking under where my husband was taking a shower. After some investigation found that the water was seeping through the grout. My husband removed some tiles and found everything wet and some of the wood rotted. What is the best way to proceed with solving this problem? We can take the wall down, let it dry and retile but I was wondering if something like Bathfitter would be better and does anyone know the cost of that. Thanks.

Default Re: Peanuts

Is this a dedicated shower stall or a bath/shower combo? Are you going to address the rot issues? I don't think bathfitters will be the best solution for you in this case. You could use them for the final finishes if you want, but I think you may have other issues that need to be addressed first.

I agree with keith, you've got to deal with all the damage first, then you can worry about what you're going to do with the leaking surround.

If the drywall is wet, it needs to be removed, same goes for any insulation that may be affected. With the wall opened up, you can address any rot issues, if it penetrates less than 1/4", you can sc**** and treat the wood to prevent further rot. How is the floor/subfloor under the tub/shower? If water was getting into the wall enough to rot the framing, then it has likely gotten to the floor as well.

I would recommend consulting with local contractors with dryrot and bathroom repair experience. They can not only give you an idea as to how much damage there is, but the cost of repairs too.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You are lucky that you detected the leak now and not later. Start fixing the problem, but do it pronto. Try not to use this bath/shower until it's fixed.

It's probably something you want a pro to handle because it involves multiple trades. But make sure you solve the source of the leak first, as mentioned above.

For all questions tile related, your best bet is to head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum. There you can read the extensive library, make your own project thread if you hire someone or do the work yourself. You can post pictures and get answers specific to your home.

Tell them we said hello and to send more donuts. The last ones were stale. We ain't gonna be fooled for that twice.

I would like to suggest that you consider a professional contractor before it get more worse. The water seepage is not a minor issue and it makes all the ceiling more weak and worse with everyday. So, better take care of.