+ Reply to Thread

Default slow flourescents

i have a fixture with (2) 48" T8 32W bulbs that has started acting up. sometimes when i flip the switch on, the light doesn't come on for 30 seconds to a minute. there is another (identical) fixture on this circuit that works fine. i plan to open the troublesome fixture, and check all of the connections, but just can't seem to get around to it. also, since it works fine most of the time, i forget about it.
    aside from a loose connection, what else could be causing this?
    could the ballast be going?
    could it be the wrong ballast in the fixture (i have not looked at that yet either)?
    i don't know how old this fixture is, but it's been working fine for about 4 years, only changed bulbs once in that time.

thanks in advance

Default Re: slow flourescents

Replace the bulbs first, this will likely cure the problem. If the problem persists, then worry about replacement of the ballast or fixture.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thanks spruce, but i should have added this info:
    this delayed start only happened 3 or 4 times recently, the last time about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks ago, and the light has been fine since then, and was fine up until about a month ago.
    when the problem occurs, the bulbs are totally dark, none of the flickering or dimness you normally get when a bulb is going. also, the lights then come immediately up to full brightness. again with no flickering. i can replace the bulbs, but then i'll have 2 questioable bulbs laying around.
    does this added info shed any more light on the situation? ha ha

Has the temperature dropped? Florescents don't like cold weather.

You can also look for dark spots near the contacts - a sign that the bulbs are on the way out.

But I have a feeling that it's the ballasts. Why? because of your description.

houston: no temperature change - the fixture is in the laundry room with a constant temp of about 62 to 67 degrees - also, there is no problem with the other fixture 6 feet away.

dj: bulbs look fine - no discoloration anywhere

thanks guys - i'll keep an eye on things to see if anything changes, but all is working fine right now