+ Reply to Thread

Default Corrugated Drainage - French Drain

My basement is getting wet, my side yard has a depression that's about 15 feet in diameter.

I've dug a trench that's about 2 feet deep and 2 feet wide. I'm going to put plastic down in the bottom, some gravel, perforated corrugated pipe, (and an unperforated pipe for the gutters, more gravel, landscaping fabric on top, than soil, running down hill, and out the hill in my front yard.

Does this look okay?

Any suggestions appreciated!!

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/255/sidemb.jpg

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/topzr.jpg

Default Re: Corrugated Drainage - French Drain

This looks good except do not use the corregated pipe nor the pipe with holed in it. Those will clog with grass / tree roots in a few years. Mice also like them.

DO use the solid 4" schedule 30 SDR pipe

DO place the "bell" end up hill

DO run a riser pipe at least 12" above ground level to catch the downspouts so they do not collect mulch / debris.

DO make sure the open end of the pipe has a nice ceement apron so it doesn't get clogged from grass growing over it.

Ditto Houston's suggestions.

In addition, with the use of solid pipe, there is not need for gravel nor plastic around the pipe. You will want to grade the bottom of the trench to be as flat as possible from end to end with a fall of 1/4" per foot.

By flat, I mean that you want the trench to be an even grade from end to end, you do not want hills or valleys where water and debris can get clogged. By 1/4" per foot fall, that is for every linear foot of travel, you want the grade to deepen by 1/4", for example, a 20' trench will be 5" shallower at the inlet end than at the outlet end.

If you were going to use perforated pipe, then the gravel gives the water a place to go until it can seep into the ground, again, you would not use plastic in the trench in this instance either. At most you would lay landscape fabric over the gravel layer, which will help to keep the dirt from polluting the gravel drainage.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you guys, I certainly appreciate it!

I don't know if I made it clear but I want to run one length strictly for drainage of the water from the down spouts (un perforated pipe.

I wanted to run a second length with perforations to actually take the ground water away, french drain style. That's why I mentioned the plastic, and gravel. I saw another website that recommended laying down plastic to force the water into the corrugated piping and away from the foundation.

Like this, but with landscape fabric, and soil on top:

doverprojects.blogspot.com/2008/12/french-drain-design.html

Save yourself some time and effort, skip the stone and fabric for the pipes running away from the house.

Do follow those steps for the pipes surrounding the house to drain it.
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 12-02-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Save yourself some time and effort, skip the stone and fabric for the pipes running away from the house.

Do follow those steps for the pipes surrounding the house to drain it.
    Okay, thank you!

I know you recommend solid pipe, but do you think it would be okay to use the corrugated? I already have a lot of it. I've used it in the past and locally it seems to hold up well.

I guess my real question would be, will this help alleviate the surface water issue in the depression in my yard? I believe that's what's causing the water problem.

The best way to deal with surface water is to regrade to prevent it in the first place. If you can't do that, then creating a basin(s ) with drain receptacles in them to take away the excess would work too.

Corrugated pipe will suffice for this project, just don't use perf pipe around the house because you're trying to get that water away, not add to what's already there. Perf pipe would suffice in a gravel channel/drywell system as discussed earlier.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!