+ Reply to Thread

Default replacing old stone foundation...kind of

i am thinking that instead of replacing my old stone foundation that i will jack the house up a little bit and then pour a footer and lay a block wall almost right up against the existing old stone foundation. This way the old foundation would still be there, but if it should ever give or break down, then the slightly cantilevered block wall would support it.

Thoughts anyone?

Default Re: replacing old stone foundation...kind of

i'll give you my thoughts.....bad idea

aside from the new block wall not providing any structural support according to any of the building codes that i've ever read. i think you're asking for a nightmare if you ever decide to sell the house. i'd be scared off if i was a buyer and discovered that in the home inspection.

since you're going to jack the house to do "your plan", why not just demo the old stone foundation and do it correctly.

I agree with MLB, don't mess with your foundation, if you don't know what you're doing.

Call foundation contractors with references. Gosh it's your foundation you dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by mcaudle870 View Post
    i am thinking that instead of replacing my old stone foundation that i will jack the house up a little bit and then pour a footer and lay a block wall almost right up against the existing old stone foundation. This way the old foundation would still be there, but if it should ever give or break down, then the slightly cantilevered block wall would support it.

Thoughts anyone?
    A secondary reinforcing structural wall can be built similar to what has been described. It's not commonly done but it has been, albeit with a structural engineer's design and the blessing of the municipal building department. One thing that is typically required is the new footing needs to be *pinned* to the existing footing. I suspect if this rubble foundation doesn't have a poured footing then it's not likely to happen the way you plan.

Usually there would be extreme circumstances that would prevent the existing foundation from being removed.

I would agree with the others in saying if the old foundation can be removed then do so. You would be 3/4 of the way there and it would allow for proper exterior waterproofing , drainage , possibly raising the height of the basement ; all of which provides an opportunity having basically new space for development.