+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advise on a Tool Bag

I am looking to buy a new tool bag. Right now I am leaning towards getting a open top tote with the handle going down the middle (long ways) about 18 in long. Can anyone recommend a brand you like. I have also seen those 5 gallon bucket liners with pockets. Anyone have any experience with those.
    Last edited by mks22914; 12-01-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Default Re: Advise on a Tool Bag

this is a battle i've been fighting for the past 10 years. the one you're thinking of getting is the one i just got rid of. it wasn't bad but some of the exterior tool holders were ripping off the bag.

my electrician uses the 5 gallon bucket with the thingy that hangs over it and he loves it. i tried that setup a few years ago and it didn't last a week for me.

my issues with the different ones are....not enough pockets, canvas ripping, no divider on the inside, no tool storage pockets on the inside, and the list goes on and on.

i'm still searching for "the perfect" tool bag/tote. please let me know which one you end up picking and why. also, i would love to hear what some of the other guys on here use and why.
    Last edited by MLB Construction; 12-01-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks for sharing. What brand was your bag? What do you use currently use to hold you tools?
    Last edited by mks22914; 12-01-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Personally I don't like tool bags. Maybe I'm too rough on them and I can't seem to find what I need when it all gets mixed up on the bottom. When buying power tools I always go for the hard metal or plastic cases and store bits / parts inside. The cases also stack / store well in the tool trailer. We label the ends of the cases wo we know which tools are in what cases.

I've always been a bucket kind of guy. I've never had the bucket organizer pouches or trays because they just added bulk to an already heavy bucket of tools.

When I had my truck outfitted, I had built a flat tool box between the wheel wells that was 1' shorter than the length of the bed, this 12" space gave me a place to tuck the bucket, DeWalt case, compressor, and other things I didn't want rolling around the back of the truck. The reason this info is important is that this is why I never invested in the tool pouches for the bucket, not enough space. The truck was fully stocked with just about anything I'd need on a given day. The bucket only held the necessities for that day.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Bucketboss makes a nice big tool bag that as a number of puckets for some smaller stuff and has a zipper to close.
    The open bag with a handle sounds like one I got from Sears that I use for plumbing stuff. The structured open top allows a propane torch to remain upright. It all started with a rinsed out 5 gallon spackle buckets that still get used.

The "best" tool bag? it's the van itself.

No matter what I bring with me in an old 5 gal paint bucket, I always find myself going to the van to bring more tools.

I think the problem is: doing multiple trades all at once. Each one has its own set of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I think the problem is: doing multiple trades all at once. Each one has its own set of tools.
    I would agree, especially in the case of a general, who does a bit of everything. Specialties usually have more specific tools and materials, in which case the bucket organizers and such are probably a great thing.

One item I've always wanted and never bought is a parachute bag for fasteners. It would be really handy to have a selection of the most frequently used items close at hand. I guess I've lasted this long without one that it isn't a necessity.

Oh, and who works out of a van, that's just wrong!
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 12-02-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce: what's a van? a pickup with a roof and more space.

Most subs I know have vans or switching to vans, because of the incredible rise of theft off pickups - a sign of the times. Tools and materials disappear.

I've had pickups and I have had vans, I prefer a van, even though pickups have some adventages.

i have buckets,, toolbags and component boxes.. their set up different task.. my boxes are for cordeless gear and their accesories.. bags are for specific carpentry tasks such as framing and icf formwork, interior trim and siding installs.

i just grab the kit i need for the task when going out the door in the morning.

the bags i have vary from clc/kunys to higher end veto propacs. my component boxes are a combo of homemade ones and the new dewalt boxes
    fire up the saw and make some dust