+ Reply to Thread

Default 1912 LongLeaf Pine Floor Restoration

I originally posted this in the wrong section, sorry for the double post.

I am in the process of rehabilitation a 1912 home, pics can be seen at 717north dot com, and have just started refinishing floors, its a pretty arduous process... the typical method of starting off with a sander doesnt seem to work... with who knows how many years of wax and or lacquer buildup, the sander is immediately gummed up, so we have to scrub the floors with lacquer thinner, wipe up the muck, then begin the sanding process... tonnes of fun, haha.

Anyway, my question relates to the transition between rooms... In Southeast Texas, hardwood floors are not terribly common anymore, so I havent seen that many. In this house, there is a gap, about 1/4 to 1/2 in the boards between rooms, right under the door, in which loose light wood is placed, presumably to fill the gap... I think that originally maybe there were thresholds in each doorway, but have never seen this, as usually hardwood is more or less seamless. In the main entry hall, and rooms on each corner of the house (house is centrall hall in the middle, with 3 rooms on either side) the hardood runs one way, in the middle rooms on each side, hardwood runs the opposite direction.

In this house there is no subfloor, the floor itself is the over inch thick longleaf pine tongue and groove, so in these gaps you can see down to the ground. In the early 70s carpet was put down, and if there were thresholds, they were taken up. I'd like to restore the house to as close as possible to historically accurate, any ideas here on what originally covered this gap between rooms?

Also does anyone know of a source for moldings? Most of the original base moldings on the bottom of the baseboards were removed when the carpet went in, but one room has the originals, they are not the typical quarter round, but more of a quarter oval, if that makes any sense... other than custom millwork, is there a place to source this kind of stuff?

Default Re: 1912 LongLeaf Pine Floor Restoration

They were covered with a "door saddle". You will find a sample here- http://www.diytimberpacks.com/18-x-1...le-5-2-0m.php#

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks so much! Did a quick search and found a tonne of info on door saddles... found a company in Austin that does alot of work in old growth longleaf, sent an email and hopefully will be able to get perfectly matching door saddles!

You're lucky to have 1" thick boards. My 1920's bungalow has 3/4" over the joists. If I drop a dollar in the living room I have to crawl under the house to find it.

My local hardwoods dealer, Clarks' Hardwood (713) 862-6628 will make any matching trims you need. All they want is a sample and can quote you a price. They can ship as well.

Thanks so much HoustonRemodeler! I will definitely give them a call! Quick question, I have been considering spray on closed cell foam insulation under the house, which will effectively be on the bottoms of the flooring boards themselves, since there is no subfloor... is there any reason this would be a bad idea?