I am in the process of rehabilitation a 1912 home, pics can be seen at 717north dot com, and have just started refinishing floors, its a pretty arduous process... the typical method of starting off with a sander doesnt seem to work... with who knows how many years of wax and or lacquer buildup, the sander is immediately gummed up, so we have to scrub the floors with lacquer thinner, wipe up the muck, then begin the sanding process... tonnes of fun, haha.

Anyway, my question relates to the transition between rooms... In Southeast Texas, hardwood floors are not terribly common anymore, so I havent seen that many. In this house, there is a gap, about 1/4 to 1/2 in the boards between rooms, right under the door, in which loose light wood is placed, presumably to fill the gap... I think that originally maybe there were thresholds in each doorway, but have never seen this, as usually hardwood is more or less seamless. In the main entry hall, and rooms on each corner of the house (house is centrall hall in the middle, with 3 rooms on either side) the hardood runs one way, in the middle rooms on each side, hardwood runs the opposite direction.

In this house there is no subfloor, the floor itself is the over inch thick longleaf pine tongue and groove, so in these gaps you can see down to the ground. In the early 70s carpet was put down, and if there were thresholds, they were taken up. I'd like to restore the house to as close as possible to historically accurate, any ideas here?