+ Reply to Thread

Default vertical drywall?

I have a 4' by 8' closet wall that I am replacing. My father in-law tells me that I need to install the sheet rock horizontally, cutting the 4'x8' sheet into two 4'x4' pieces then taping and mudding the seam. I think it would be easier to put it up vertically in one piece no seam to mud. Is there some structural need for Sheetrock to be horizontal?

Default Re: vertical drywall?

Rule of thumb, install dry wall so you have the least amount of seams possible and avoid as many butt seams as possible. I did my kitchen, which is 10 feet tall and 20 by 20 with vertical installed 4X12 sheets cut to fit.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You can install the drywall any way you like, however, most likely what will happen is that the framing will dictate the direction. If you do not have a stud at the 4' mark of an 8' long wall, then where is your joint going to land? You could install another stud in the wall to carry the seam, but if you're going to do that, you may as well install the drywall horizontally. You're only going to save yourself 8 linear feet of taping on a tapered edge seam, which is easy to do anyway.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

for long runs horizontal is a better practice it reduces the number of butt joints for the taper to deal with

but in your case a single sheet is fine. it elimates a joint.. for short runs less than 4' its regularly done vertical as long as you can hold the sheet inplace
    fire up the saw and make some dust

As others have said, the primary consideration of horizontal vs. vertical is the total length of joints that must be taped. In your situation, go vertical.

Another consideration is to reduce the amount of overhead taping. By going horizontal, you don't have as many joints to do above the 4' line, where you'll need to spend more time on ladders or stilts.

A third consideration is to make the joints as invisible as possible. Sometimes this means carefully planning your layout to avoid shadows from lighting that's near the wall, and if aesthetics trump cost, it may mean more joints to tape.

On larger walls, it's common for pros to use 12' long sheets hung horizontally -- there again, it's to reduce the amount of taping. Whether an 8' or a 12' sheet, when hung horizontally the butt joints (upper sheet vs. lower sheet) are staggered.

Your FIL might think that you have to go horizontal because he probably saw a professional do that... the pro's reason was to reduce the amount of taping. I'm sure the pro would hang it vertical given the same situation as yours.

P.S.-- I'm not a pro. I don't really like doing sheetrock. In fact, I've never been satisfied with any joint I've taped. I've just spent enough time around construction to have observed trade practices.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.