+ Reply to Thread

Default Closing up short staircase

Input or ideas - I have a split level home, garage is 1/2 story down from first floor (7 steps). There are two access point to garage. One is an 8 step staircase we never use. I want to close it off for a large closet. The steps and walls of the staircase are poured concrete (part of the foundation). I want to anchor 2x6s on the sides and hang joists then add decking for flooring. I'll have someone with more skill frame out the door.

In the garage I will close off the door and sheet rock it like it was never there. Because the stairs are concrete I cannot make use of the space under the new closet decking. The steps eat up the useful space.

Any dangers or input from experienced home re-modellers?

Thanks

Default Re: Closing up short staircase

for closing up the stairwall opening match up the new joists with the dimension of the old.. more than likely you have 2x8 joists or 2x10.. 2x6 is too small and would never pass an inspection
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Closing up short staircase

Thanks for the advice. I took the wood flooring off the bottom step and the stairs are just framed out between the concrete walls.

Since it is a slight split level house there will be a "pit" with concrete walls on three sides when the stairs are removed.

My plan:
    Attach 2x10s with anchor bolts on the three concrete sides

Hang 2x8 joists (using metal hangers) on 8 or 10 inch centers for the depth of the closet

Frame out the back of the closet by finding studs in the first floor walls about 6-8 feet back from where I want the door to hang in the front hallway

Deck the floor joists and eventually replace the front hallway tile with new tile that continues into this front closet.

What flooring should I use?