I own a house that was built in 1910/20+- and through the past 8 months have been slowly restoring to what it may have looked like 100 years ago. I was puzzled by how rough the plaster work was in most of the rooms and finally I discovered that the entire house was originally wallpapered. Some pretty awesome velvety damask and hand painted stuff from when the house was built. However, it was removed a long time ago and the walls were painted. I think either the finish layer of plaster came off when they stripped (must have been at least 50 years ago guessing by how much paint is on the walls) or there wasn't much but a scratch coat under the wallpaper. I don't know how they used to do walls.

Now I'm left with very scratchy walls that don't have a fine finish like plaster and whenever I patch with new plaster or spackle a small hole, its obviously smoother than the rest of the wall. I've gotten good at replicating the rough texture of the walls in my spackle jobs and I've used a good quality primer and flat paint on the walls and they look pretty decent. Wallpaper for the entire house isn't an option right now just because of cost and the time and effort to design a wallpaper plan for each room and the time to put it up.

Has anyone else found themselves in a situation like this? What have you done?