+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bathroom Walls

Hybrid View

Question Bathroom Walls

We bought a bank-owned 1980s house that needs improvements. In the master bathroom, the tub and toilet are separated by a door from the sink and counters. In the very small space that houses the tub, shower and toilet, someone has taken very hot showers and the steam has melted the wallpaper off the walls. How can we fix this? We need to cover the walls with something. I would really like to paint them, but all the sticky residue from the previous wallpaper is a mess.

Default Re: Bathroom Walls

Actual wallpaper paste is water soluble, which means that you'll be able to wash it off with a sponge and warm water.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Which is also why the wallpaper is peeling from the walls.

Shower boards have become very popular recently. People like them because there's no grout to discolour over time and they are easy to clean once in place.

There's a decent range of colours and styles available and PVC ones are available through trade at about $75 for a 1m x 2.4m panel.

You could always opt for these and they are simple to install if you get the tongue & groove type.
    For tips and advice on Hidden Content head to DHI today.

Warm water and mild soap will get MOST of the paper and glue off, but not all. The leftover glue will have to be sanded off.

Before you paint, you will need to prime the wall, once or twice. Use zinsser primer.

Thanks for the suggestions! We tried soap and water, but there is still sticky residue. I will either try the Zinsser Primer or the shower boards. I really don't know much about home improvement projects, but there are a few projects that need to be done in this house. When I get this one fixed, I'll get your suggestions for some of the other projects.

Smile Re: Bathroom Walls

Thanks for the suggestions! We tried soap and water, but there is still sticky residue. I will either try the Zinsser Primer or the shower boards. I really don't know much about home improvement projects, but there are a few projects that need to be done in this house. When I get this one fixed, I'll get your suggestions for some of the other projects.